Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berger 105gr VLD Hunting

Berger 105gr VLD Hunting

Having a read about these. They guarantee 80% retention and good expansion and Im thinking about them for the 6x47
    Has anyone used them and any feedback?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    Having a read about these. They guarantee 80% retention and good expansion and Im thinking about them for the 6x47
    Has anyone used them and any feedback?
    from experience ive had with vld in 6.5 don't bother .
    they don't expand like they are supposed to.(read past threads on this)
    bob

Really, that's surprising as I was expecting them to over expand.
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

hi i used 140 grain vld hunting in my 6.5x55 last year only shot one fallow with them went for a heart lung shot small hole in same size coming out very little damage to the heart and lung area ,went back to using 140 grain sst

Hi BK
    Where did you read that Berger Guarantee that the Hunting VLD retains 80% of its weight? I am not implying you are wrong I am just interested.
    I have used the 175 30cal version and find it works much the same as any other Hunting Bullet but admittedly that is only on Roe. About a 1" exit hole.
    Opinion does seem divided on this Bullet Design. Extremely accurate though.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Hi BK
    Where did you read that Berger Guarantee that the Hunting VLD retains 80% of its weight? I am not implying you are wrong I am just interested.
    I have used the 175 30cal version and find it works much the same as any other Hunting Bullet but admittedly that is only on Roe. About a 1" exit hole.
    Opinion does seem divided on this Bullet Design. Extremely accurate though.

Yorkie.
    They probably do retain 80% .when I tried them they drilled hole straight through with no expansion.
    very accurate bullet though,

Hi bob.
    I asked as Berger state they should SHED 40%-80% of their weight as 'Shrapnel' into the surrounding Tissue.
    It does seem to be one of those 'Marmite' Bullets.
    Out of the six lads that share our Lease another two are using Berger. One uses 140s in a 6.5x284 and the other 140s in a 7-08. Both shoot the Roe without issue and have similar results to me as I have seen the Carcasses. However both have commented that on Red they do not get an exit. They both like an exit wound and are not happy about this. This is opposite to Stalkers as yourself that find them just 'drilling' through. You have shot plenty of Deer so I accept your findings.
    Walt Berger said they should expand at velocities down to 1700fps so impact velocity should not be an issue.
    I am at a loss really as to explain it.
    All Bullets can do unexpected and unexplained things but it does seem that the Berger pops up more than most.

Yorkie.

Just back form stalking hinds in Scotland. Twelve hinds in three days, 260 Remington shooting 130g Berger Hunting VLDs (2860ft/s). Eleven of them dropped on the spot, one moved perhaps ten metres. Just personal experience but they perform as advertised. Andy.

Thanks for all the info.
    I got the 80% from the original remit when they were designing the bullet
    History of the Match Grade Berger Hunting VLD | Berger Bullets
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Hi bob.
    I asked as Berger state they should SHED 40%-80% of their weight as 'Shrapnel' into the surrounding Tissue.
    It does seem to be one of those 'Marmite' Bullets.
    Out of the six lads that share our Lease another two are using Berger. One uses 140s in a 6.5x284 and the other 140s in a 7-08. Both shoot the Roe without issue and have similar results to me as I have seen the Carcasses. However both have commented that on Red they do not get an exit. They both like an exit wound and are not happy about this. This is opposite to Stalkers as yourself that find them just 'drilling' through. You have shot plenty of Deer so I accept your findings.
    Walt Berger said they should expand at velocities down to 1700fps so impact velocity should not be an issue.
    I am at a loss really as to explain it.
    All Bullets can do unexpected and unexplained things but it does seem that the Berger pops up more than most.

Yorkie.
    I tried them in my 6.5x284 . I was using 140 gr vld hunting @2950fts.
    i was using them on reds and fallow,I had a lot of shots drilled straight through with no expansion,
    so I stopped using them, I used to shoot 115gr vld hunting in my 257 Roberts ai @2950fts,
    and used to get really good expansion and drop them on spot,
    bullets with different rifles loads powder etc can produce some very extreme variables,
    and shot placement between individuals also counts ,we all say behind the shoulder but I bet
    we all shoot slightly different point of aim ,hit the shoulder you will get better expansion ,go in between ribs you won't get much,