Compulsary Microchipping

Gazza

Read in the paper this morning that Mr Salmond's Government are proposing bringing in compulsary microchipping in Scotland in an attempt to promote responsible dog ownership and address the attacks by dogs on persons and other animals. As usual this will be more legislation and cost that the already responsible law abiding dog owner will comply with and the types who own unpredictable and aggressive dogs will not bother their jacksie whilst the baby is left to look after Satan the Rottie.
Strangely enough I later opened my emails to see that the Animal Welfare Branch of the Agriculture, Food and Rural Communties Directorate had been sent me consulation papers on this subject. ( This is what happens when you write to them regularly about tail docking).
Anybody who wishes to be part of the consulation and submit their thoughts here is the link. Fill your boots.

Promoting responsible dog ownership in Scotland: microchipping and other measures

Last edited:
It is fundamentally flawed by the failure to enforce when dogs are stolen or lost and recovered

I know someone who lost a dog and then subsequently received a request to transfer chip ownership details some months later
When they went to the vet to find out who had the dog they were told that they could not have that info "for data protection reasons"!!!

Police were very unhelpful and because the dog had been lost some months earlier it all went sideways as the new owners protested that the dog was now theirs due to the time period!!
Clusterf#ck!

Come on of course this will work, by making it law that all dogs must be chipped will stop all these aggressive dogs and irresponsible owners causing problems.
Just like the hand gun ban stopped all gang style firearms incidents in this country! Not
Wingy

I think it`s becoming compulsory in England as well.
We got ours done free by The Dogs Trust about six months ago.

Responsible dog owners get their dogs chipped anyway. In England all docked dogs legally need to be chipped now.

Vary from free to £20, such a tiny cost in the grand scheme of things.

(all chips are not equal.............)

Responsible dog owners get their dogs chipped anyway. In England all docked dogs legally need to be chipped now.

I see no substance in getting a dog chipped and you point out one of the flaws (all chips are not equal). If I get my dog chipped and he is stolen how is the chip going to assist in his recovery. Somebody needs to scan him and then check on the data base. Who is going to do so? and why would they?. As a vet do you routinely scan every dog you see and check if it is stolen. Bet you don't. If I steal a dog or buy a stolen dog I am not going to take it to a Police Station nor is any copper ever going to check it. So how does it assist with preventing theft?

All a chip can do is identify the person who registered the chip. I do not know the details of every dog attack in the uk but in the main there has never been an issue about identifying the owner. All these cases require to be properly analysed and the real issues addressed.

beat them to the draw.... Get on ebay and get the chips (pay attention and get the right ones that meet the eu/iso requirements) and chip your pets. Then register them with TASSO for example.... Then, if you get the letter, reply with the registration info and be done. I was a microchipping fool around here..... Dogs and horses have to be chipped for breeding purposes, but the worthless fat cat has a chip (ownership registered in someone's name we can't stand:rolleyes:).... We got a good price on chips and I went thru and hid chips on saddles and a few other things..... Will be doing my guns with the next batch... Why not take advantage of technology that is available?

Had both of mine chipped. They put up a bit of a fight but if you hold them down then no problem. Oops. Just realised you were talking about dogs. Not kids!

Somebody needs to scan him and then check on the data base. Who is going to do so? and why would they?. As a vet do you routinely scan every dog you see and check if it is stolen.

We check all newly registered animals, much in the same way I look in their mouth and listen to their heart. No-one has ever questioned the act. What we don't do is check the number with anyone, it gets recorded on the computer. I will usually ask as I scan the dog if it is chipped..........

If someone wanted to register a chip that was registered to another owner (and there was any accusation of theft) then I'd co-operate in any way I could. By giving your details to the microchip database you are basically consenting to that information being shared with anyone who could reasonably require those details.

Our receptionists brother in law's dog was returned by the police after it was stolen.

I could give you the details of more than a dozen animals reunited due to micro-chips, including a number of valuable working dogs. It is possibly the ONLY way of proving a dog is yours in the case of a dispute over ownership. Obviously you are going to be working the dogs without a collar, and one black lab looks very much like another.

Some chips fail. Some chips move. The other aspect is the quality of the database - no point scanning a dog, finding a chip but not being able to get details from a database. We use the best quality chips, with a reliable 24 hour database - don't buy or trust cheap chips.

My dogs are chipped now for what it is worth. With the amount of travellers going about who are known to pinch dogs I think it just makes me feel better. Dare say they won't give a flying one if its chipped or not but if legislation comes in that all dogs should be chipped, it may just put them off enough to reduce the amount of thefts.

A guy I work with bought an 18 month old terrier (can't remember which kind but was of the transit van variety) not so long ago and was pretty much skin and bones. Took it to the vet who scanned it and found a chip. The owners were then contacted and didn't respond. They kept the dog and is now healthy. I would be happy if this happened since if the stolen dog falls into the hands of a responsible dog owner you at least have a chance of being reunited with it.

By giving your details to the microchip database you are basically consenting to that information being shared with anyone who could reasonably require those details.

Actually that is the problem
You are not, anymore than by allowing your doctor to provide info on you to any tom dick or harry who asks for it
the issue is "reasonable"

Both my dogs are chipped, the only time they ever get scanned is when I ask the vet to check it still works at annual vaccination time. If I didn't ask they wouldn't check, I assume that's because the dogs are registered there? I don't know. I was unfortunate enough a couple of years ago to have one bitten by an adder in Scotland. Took it to the nearest vets, got it treated, no check to see if it was chipped was done, although on this dog as it was chipped at 2 days old when legally docked the chip has moved so far down the left leg no vet can ever find it until I point out where it is.
Think chipping is a joke
Wingy

beat them to the draw.... Get on ebay and get the chips (pay attention and get the right ones that meet the eu/iso requirements) and chip your pets. Then register them with TASSO for example.... Then, if you get the letter, reply with the registration info and be done. I was a microchipping fool around here..... Dogs and horses have to be chipped for breeding purposes, but the worthless fat cat has a chip (ownership registered in someone's name we can't stand:rolleyes:).... We got a good price on chips and I went thru and hid chips on saddles and a few other things..... Will be doing my guns with the next batch... Why not take advantage of technology that is available?

Are you recommending that we all just chip our own dogs and skip the vet just to save a few pennies? :cuckoo:

Are you recommending that we all just chip our own dogs and skip the vet just to save a few pennies? :cuckoo:

If you have a good vet at hand and/or more money than you know what to do with, use them if you want... Speaking for myself, my pennies mean a lot to me... You shouldn't have anything to worry about...... prolly make Labs exempt from the chipping cause nobody wants one bad enough to steal it:gheyfight:

If you have a good vet at hand and/or more money than you know what to do with, use them if you want... Speaking for myself, my pennies mean a lot to me... You shouldn't have anything to worry about...... prolly make Labs exempt from the chipping cause nobody wants one bad enough to steal it:gheyfight:

Probably, would you use the extra pennies to buy a few more of those stylish hats your modelling in your avatar? We need a hand bags smiliey...

leave my hat alone........... I only got it in case a neighbor asks me to walk their Lab... I can use it to hide my face...
Have a good weekend.

i see no point in not chipping your livestock be it horse or hound , it MAY help in reuniting you at some point if there is no chip then it can't .

Maybe I didnt have to get mine chipped as I live in Wales not England
:tiphat:

Back