Thread: Stuck cases

Stuck cases

Hi guys
    Been using Federal Fusion 140gn in my 7mm-08 to good effect but recently got a batch of 200 and upon using the first box when i fire a shot it takes extreme force to open the bolt and eject the case, last time i had to tap bolt open with hammer.
    Any ideas whats causing this?
    Cheers

Sounds like ther tight in your chamber possibly due to over presure or a dirty chamber. when was the last time you cleaned your chamber ect out? If its clean I wouldnt continue to use that batch of ammo I would take it back and ask if you can swap explaining the problam to your rfd! Im sure someone will be along to give a better answer soon best of luck adrian

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
    Hi guys
    Been using Federal Fusion 140gn in my 7mm-08 to good effect but recently got a batch of 200 and upon using the first box when i fire a shot it takes extreme force to open the bolt and eject the case, last time i had to tap bolt open with hammer.
    Cheers
    Return them as they obviously do not suit your rifle.

I am assuming that the rifle is undmage d and in good order .. i.e clean including the chamber and the locking lug recess.

Is there marks on the cases after extraction?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
    Hi guys
    Cheers
    Hi JohnnyR
    Ive used these in the past, in my 7mm-08 Tikka 595, with as you say good effect, in fact if I was shooting factory all the time these would be my go too round for this rifle. However every round had signs of excess pressure, ejector pin marks on the case head and cratering of the primer and my rifle deffinately doesn't have a tight chamber. I mainly reload for this rifle and have achieved higher velocities without any pressure signs, if these were my loads I would have been reading these signs as having reached the limit and backed off just a little bit. It very much seems as though the latest batch that you have acquired are over the top, my advise would be not to shoot them, return them to your supplier and ask for them to be checked, and or replaced from another batch number.
    When you get ammunition which is as hot as this fusion obviously is, a very slight change in any of the components can lead to a considerable increase in pressure.
    p. s what rifle is this? Have you tried any other factory rounds since shooting this batch, either from you previous batch or from another manufacturer.
    dcg

Hi DCG, thanks for you reply, my rifle is Mannlicher Pro Hunter, since i had to tap open the bolt i havent used the rifle anymore, using .243 at present.
    Ill take ammo back to bushwear and change batch or see if they have different ammo, unlikely though.

Daft question, but... were you shooting in the wet and did the ammunition get wet? Water does not expand and if there is water on the outside of the cartridge when it goes into the chamber it can increase the pressure.

You are doing the right thing though by not shooting the rest of the batch and returning them.