Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Humane dispatch of livestock.

Humane dispatch of livestock.

A few days ago, my name was passed on to someone who needed a horse to be put down. I DID NOT do it.
    The vet was charging 120.00 to kill the horse. A couple of reasons that I didn't kill the horse, include being at work at the the time, and not having 'Humane dispatch' on my licence.
    I rang the (Humberside) FAO to find out where I stood legally, should I be asked again, and they confirmed that I would be breaking the law, should I decide to help out - they also stated that a .243 was not a big enough calibre to put a horse down(?)

I then asked about having Humane dispatch added as a condition onto my certificate, at which point they decided to ask my name and address, whilst they 'looked into it'.

When they called me back, I was informed that such a request would be very unlikely to be granted, due to the fact that I am not

A farmer/smallholder
    A vet
    A slaughterman

I was also informed that, had I chosen to shoot the horse, I could also have been prosecuted by the RSPCA under the cruelty to animals act, to which my immediate (and unthinking) reply was "But if the RSPCA found out that I had the means to prevent an animal suffering, and did nothing, then they could STILL prosecute me couldn't they?"
    That was met by a very definite silence!

The people that owned the horse are part of the 'travelling community' and some members of their family have settled into houses near us, so there may be a chance that I will be asked again, should they have need; I would welcome any advice, or opinions on this,
    Thanks.

I would firstly say that a .243 is definitely a big enough calibre to put a horse down (with appropriate ammunition and bullet placement)
    Secondly I would advise you DO NOT get involved with this sort of thing. It wouldn't be a one off and I think you'd get more and more requests of this sort and possibly end up being the local traveller community slaughterman. The simple answer is to just tell anyone who asks "I can't do it because it's illegal"
    The only exception I can think of would be if you were asked in a kind of emergency situation.....ie car crash/accident of some type where an animal is suffering and the only reason you were asked was because you were closest and quickest on the scene and not just because you were cheaper than the vet!

12 bore, 1 inch from the head... But I wouldn't do it unless I had little choice (Little choice = I was there and to delay dispatch would result in unnecessary suffering on part of the injured or dying).

P.S. It's on my certificate anyway...

I wondered about this myself recently. A farmer asked me to put down a cow for him. I refused because I'm not sure of the legality but wondered about the shotgun. I don't have any conditions imposed on my shotgun, so could I kill a cow with a magnum 12 or even a 10 bore cartridge?? I'd be far happier to shoot one with the .243 but like I said, not conditioned.

I don't really like refusing favours of the farmers that let me shoot on their land.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeopen View Post
    That is helpful, thanks.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

My FEO told me AOLQ covers it as its legal to shoot if you have owners permission & horses don't take that much to dispatch, I do a few lambs each year for one of my farmers.
    Plenty dispatched during foot & mouth by nothing more than a .22.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    My FEO told me AOLQ covers it as its legal to shoot if you have owners permission & horses don't take that much to dispatch, I do a few lambs each year for one of my farmers.
    Plenty dispatched during foot & mouth by nothing more than a .22.
    as my understanding you need humane killing of animals on a condition for doing such work it doesn't come under any lawfull quarry ,you will end up in bother doing that,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I didn't say what I did it with & have HD on my ticket but in my experience you would have to go a long way to beat a 410 at point blank range, but each to their own, there are many suitable calibres & cartridges it's experience & knowledge that make them suitable in many cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    as my understanding you need humane killing of animals on a condition for doing such work it doesn't come under any lawfull quarry ,you will end up in bother doing that,atb wayne
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    I didn't say what I did it with & have HD on my ticket but in my experience you would have to go a long way to beat a 410 at point blank range, but each to their own, there are many suitable calibres & cartridges it's experience & knowledge that make them suitable in many cases.
    sorry i am not talking about calibres but actually doing it using the AOLQ as it is livestock you are dealing with not something on a quarry list it must be conditioned on your cert to be legal and the condition is humane killing of animals. Doing it under the any lawfull quarry ruling will land you in bother , have you had that in writing or is it something an feo said was ok, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports