Must all AW stalks fall with a three year registration 'slot'

western woodsman

I was wondering. My original three year portfolio registration period will end next September. I have yet to get an AW stalk completed, but hope to get at least one in the next two months. If a reregister in September will the completed AW stalk count or must I do them all three from scratch within the three year period? Maybe this seems pedantic, but it is kind of important to know not to waste money/effort. This could make my mind up to do it intensively now in the winter. Please advise.

I cannot answer your question but to me this is the right time to get your stalks in on the does to keep your spending to a minimum, when you say you have yet to complete does this mean you have done some and completed parts of the portfoilio and questioning but not shot an animal? or you have yet to do a stalk with an aw,

Back in 2004/5 I was poorly and could not complete my portfolio. I wrote in and asked for an extension of permitted time, which was granted.
Perhaps if there is a genuine reason a similar concession could be made ?

If you need to re-register then you can back date it to the first stalk. For example if that was 12 months ago for example (28/12/2012) the date your new portfolio would run from for 3 years from that first stalk allowing it to be counted but would then only give you 2 remaining years (28/12/15) to complete the remaining witnessed stalks. In total 3 years from the first witnessed stalk to portfolio handed in. I was in the same boat 1 partial stalk and time ran out but re-registered and back dated incase I needed any aspects of it but hopefully I shouldn't need to use it thanks to an enjoyable few stalks with Sikamalc and only 1 left to go.

Honestly you have until September, you should be able to get 3 stalks in by then. I got my portfolio and had a crappy year for deer so I'd had the portfolio 18 months before I got an ICR complete, and then I did the 3 in 4 days.

Hinds/does is when it is cheapest. There is no reason you can't complete in a single day if you want to work hard.

But in answer to your OP - unless very extenuating circumstances all three need to die and be written up in a 3 year period.

Similar query has been covered in two posts recently - cant recall names, but search under our posts and they should come up.

In answer to the direct question posed, if you do find you need to re-register then any AW completed stalk you do between now and then can be included as an ICR. The only impact will be that your three year 'window' will run from the earlier of (re ) registration date or date of the first included ICR.

I hope you get sorted ok. :tiphat:

I cannot answer your question but to me this is the right time to get your stalks in on the does to keep your spending to a minimum, when you say you have yet to complete does this mean you have done some and completed parts of the portfoilio and questioning but not shot an animal? or you have yet to do a stalk with an aw,
No I have shot animals with no problems on any and gralloched them all fine. I just have been biding my time and not got around to doing the DSC2 until now. But thanks all for the replies. I think I will just get down and go for it before next September. I had been maybe a little worried about being 'tested', but should be fine even fun.

WW

Completely understand - it's not an uncommon thing. I've oft repeated its worth spending sometime either/ both finding AW's that are recommended and talking to the same beforehand. If the 'chemistry' isn't there or you dont hit it off in a 10 minutes phone call, it doesn't bode well for spending a day together!

No I have shot animals with no problems on any and gralloched them all fine. I just have been biding my time and not got around to doing the DSC2 until now. But thanks all for the replies. I think I will just get down and go for it before next September. I had been maybe a little worried about being 'tested', but should be fine even fun.

Ah ok I wasn't sure if you had completed so much of the ICR's or you were to start it, like others have said find someone with plenty of ground with good numbers of deer and have a chat to see if you get on and go for it you do have time to complete it now and you stand a real good chance with the does/hinds good luck wayne

Your answer is yes they must be done in that period .

Ive had guys out to do there level two with the said same problem no deer .if your ground is handy to you get on the ground without the rifle, find them know where you'll find them at various times of the day ,then take your AW with you ,problem solved .

I recently took a guy out AW Stalk, we were seeing nothing not a lot of sign either ,I asked him the question when did you last stalk the ground, ""OH two days ago"" I shot two does and a yearling .mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm he's still not got it done he has a month left .

Some confusing answers for you I believe! Stalks from BOTH 3 year periods can be used, but only if none are more than 3 years old at the time of portfolio submission. So effectively you will be reducing the length of the second 3 year period if you use a stalk from the first period.
MS

I picked up Lymes about 9 months into my portfolio with no culls completed. Lymes put me out of action and off work for the best part of 18 months. I struggled to get out of the door, let alone out stalking. This time two years ago iwas in exactly your predicament. I was still only 50/60 %, and spoke with my BASC assessment centre and explained my situation. Their response was very matter of fact and understanding - do what you can, but if you need more time then we can work accordingly. As it turned out getting the three stalks and assessments done was a real tonic and forced me to back into doing things and completed and submitted the portfolio in time. My assessor took me to his own ground where there were plenty of does he wanted culling. Also nice and flat and easy terrain. One day in January and one day in late Feb we got all three done.

Last edited:
Okay I think I get it. I will just press on and try to get it done before the first registration period expires. Get it done and move on!

I did have suspected Lymes symptoms recently so sympathise with Heym SR20, but I got diagnosed and took the antibiotics for it early. If you have any ticks and a stiff neck, flu like symptoms and or the red ring around the bite or two of the symptoms just take the antibiotics and do not risk it!

Back