Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The British Rifleman's Rifle?

The British Rifleman's Rifle?

Just curious, in the States many consider the Rifleman's Rifle to be the Winchester Model 70 pre 64.

What is the equivalent in Britain, the Rifleman's Rifle that was the favourite hunting rifle among British sportsmen and gun writers throughout the Empire, and a base to build a fine custom sporter? Was it an Enfield, Rigby or Jeffery....or any other name?

Thanks for the replies thus far. The question was inspired from my sitting by the fire, enjoying my Yorkshire Christmas and reading about the history of the London gunsmiths, and hunting throughout the Empire. British hunters were once second to none [or still are ], so there must be a Rifleman's Rifle....Mauser based hmmmm.
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 28-12-2013 at 22:22.

My immediate feeling is that, whatever other name might be on it, there'll be a choice of three:
    Mauser
    Mannlicher
    Mannlicher-Schoenauer

As Dalua says Rigby, Jeffery, H&H, Westley Richards, Purdey even Parker Hale etc. etc. they would all be based on the Mauser action. So you could say that the British Rifleman's rifle would be the German Mauser. In fact a pre 64 Winchester is really based on a Mauser action.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

H&H .25 Single Shot Rook Rrifle

Perfect for those "Backwoods Rambles".

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    H&H .25 Single Shot Rook Rrifle

Perfect for those "Backwoods Rambles".

K
    You really need to tell us more about these backwoods rambles you keep mentioning.

I did once "stop by a lonely wood" but that was with a Barmaid from Sevenoaks!

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    I did once "stop by a lonely wood" but that was with a Barmaid from Sevenoaks!

K
    Her house was in the village, though?

Disclaimer: this is an oblique pop-lit reference - no prizes.

All I'll say to that is: Iambic tetrameter.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    As Dalua says Rigby, Jeffery, H&H, Westley Richards, Purdey even Parker Hale etc. etc. they would all be based on the Mauser action. So you could say that the British Rifleman's rifle would be the German Mauser. In fact a pre 64 Winchester is really based on a Mauser action.
    I agree. Except for the bolt, bolt release, the safety, and the trigger it's practically identical to the M-98 Mauser. ~Muir

Thinking about British classic rifles, I guess KB has the miniature end of things covered with his rook-rifle.
    Apart from that, for home-grown classics from stalking up to heavy Africa rifles we'd have to think about double-rifles.
    Also falling block actions, perhaps? Farquharson and Fraser were British: Martini wasn't.

Interestingly, the 1939 Army and Navy Stores catalogue lists Lee-Enfield sporters in .303 and .315, as well as Mannlicher-Schoenauers and their own make of .470 express double.

Austyn's book 'Classic Sporting Rifles' contains pics of a (to my eye, not altogether lovely-looking) bolt-action called 'Certus' made by Cogswell and Harrison.
    Last edited by Dalua; 29-12-2013 at 13:26. Reason: Error - Thanks, BH!