Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle Calibres-Discussion, not argument..

Rifle Calibres-Discussion, not argument..

Just been reading past threads, (Bored) and one thing that sticks in my mind is the amount of discussion on calibres/ factory/custom/Wildcat.. etc..etc.
    Having shot factory calibres for 20 years, .22lr,Hornet, 243, 6.5 x 55... I have never thought I needed a wildcat/bespoke/modified calibre, to do any work that I could do with a factory calibre. Just to be concise, I do specifically calibre, not rifle.
    I have also had decent brands, rolled my own ammo and shoot at normal stalking ranges on high and low ground.

Now, please would some of you disclose the thought process behind your decisions to go 'Different' ?

I'm not looking to knock you, merely understand... and please explain why a factory calibre wasn't suitable if applicable.

Go for it.

Matty

Ill be right back ..........

Because because because because because...because of the wonderful things they does.

And because they can of course!

Ive recently re barreled my t3v in 25 06 into 6.5 06, it was more of a fun experiment really, got no complaints with 25 06, its an excellent calibre, wanted something i could use for stalking,foxing and a good 1000 yarder, it turns out its exceeded my expectations and can't see no reason why when the barrel is shot out I will have another exactly the same again, its an awesome calibre and can't understand why it isnt more popular.
    Last edited by swarovski; 28-12-2013 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Ive recently re barreled my t3v in 25 06 into 6.5 06, it was more of a fun experiment really, got no complaints with 25 06, its an excellent calibre, wanted something i could use for stalking,foxing and a good 1000 yarder, it turns out its exceeded my expectations and can't see no reason why when the barrel is shot out I will have another exactly the same again, its an awesome calibre and can't understand why it isnt more popular.
    Ok thanks.. So the ethos was single rifle, multi tasking..... DO you use different ammo types for each task or multi task the ammo? If you use different ammo, do you rezero for each bullet type or use target turret adjustments from notes?
    Were there no factory calibres that perform that task? for example .308?

Please remember, its discussion I'm after, not argument.. I'm not knocking your choice...

Because they can! pretty much the answer.... If your a hunter shooting at normal hunting distances then there isn't really any reason to choose a wildcat over a factory, other than to be different.

However, if your a shooter and enjoy the technical/ experimental aspects then its something that's fun to do. I personally enjoy getting to know a cartridge and working up loads. I have enjoyed the .22-250ai, .280ai and .375-408 (cheytac).

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeopen View Post
    Because they can! pretty much the answer.... If your a hunter shooting at normal hunting distances then there isn't really any reason to choose a wildcat over a factory, other than to be different.

However, if your a shooter and enjoy the technical/ experimental aspects then its something that's fun to do. I personally enjoy getting to know a cartridge and working up loads. I have enjoyed the .22-250ai, .280ai and .375-408 (cheytac).

ok, so the passion is as much in the calibre/technical aspect, as in the stalk.. That I can understand..

I am not really interested in that at all... I am happy with a quality piece of kit, that puts a bullet where i want it... Thats common ethics.. what ever the quarry... I am more interested in 'post kill' and time spent on the hill, rather than than the actual pulling the trigger..

Maybe that is where I missing the point.. its just another interest that goes with some peoples stalking...

That's about it Matty, I am a shooter and hunt in order to own guns, My stalking partner is a hunter and owns guns to hunt.

I use 120gr nosler ballistic tips for hunting and 142gr smks for 1000yds target shooting, the rifle is moderated when hunting and has a muzzle brake on for 1000yds,poi is 0.4 mils different on elevation at 100yds, cock on windage, its set for hunting zero and I just dial in the 1000yd elevation, 308 isnt in the same league ballisticly
    Last edited by swarovski; 28-12-2013 at 22:10.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    I use 120gr nosler ballistic tips for hunting and 142gr smks for 1000yds target shooting, the rifle is moderated when hunting and has a muzzle brake on for 1000yds,poi is 0.4 mils different on elevation, cock on windage, its set for hunting zero and I just dial in the 1000yd elevation, 308 isnt in the same league ballisticly
    ok cheers.. understand