Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My daughter came for a day out beating today - for the first time....

My daughter came for a day out beating today - for the first time....

A few of us had a root round my mate's farm today - just a v relaxed day, 5 of us shooting, 4 dogs....and a bonus beater.

My 11yr old daughter announced yesterday that she wanted to come out beating....this was surprising as she's never expressed any interest in shooting before (unlike my 15 yr old son, who is mad keen...he's been coming out with me since he was 7, and recently obtained his own FAC and SGC. He was one of the guns today ).

She was wrapped up against the elements, equipped with some of the Christmas selection box choccy to keep her going - and despite being knackered at the end of the day, she seemed to enjoy it and has already made noises about coming out again.

I have to say, it was good to be able to have both children with me today, but it struck me that my daughter is probably in the minority (my wife is of the view that shooting/stalking is very much a male-dominated environment - and I have to say, I tend to agree with the generalisation.....but just to buck that trend, one of the other guns today was one of my mate's daughters....16, and has been shooting for a few years now, rears pheasants for our syndicate as well, has her own springer - and can shoot well too!!).

Given that normally my daughter will quite happily read until 11pm at night if we forget to tell her to switch her bedroom light off, I'm hoping that the fresh air and exercise of today will zonk her out and make her get off to sleep at a sensible time!!

Attachment 36137
    Attachment 36138
    Attachment 36139
    Attachment 36140
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Your son doesn`t look too pleased at being photographed with his little sis.
    Let`s hope she keeps up the interest.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Nice one mate.

Will she she venture 'up country' on the hills for the day?

catch up soon mate.

Jon

My 8 year old daughter is obsessed with beating, if I even considered going without her my life wouldn't be worth living. When I suggested today that on one drive it would be easier for her if she walked along a ride, she said "well I won't bother coming again, no point walking down a path because there's no bushes to hit and I won't find any pheasants", that told me !.

Wow, thats great!
    It will be very interesting to see and realize how my two kids will develop huntingwise....
    Atb for your kids and the family to keep it going!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

excellent! its great to hear the yoof haveing a good time beating, shooting etc. I hope its the first of many great days out for her.

Regards sbm

What a great write up and fantastic to see more young ladies involved in the sport ! Long may it continue
    atb jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Cheers fellas.

Son is 15.....it's not cool to smile for ANY photo!!

Not sure about her coming up to the hilly ground Jon - it will probably depend upon whether it is raining or not!!

Glad to hear that some others daughters are keen, and wildboar1973: I hope that your two take up hunting - if nothing else, it is a great way to actually spend time with your kids when you can talk to them without distractions of Xbox, ipad, etc!!
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

I just started taking my 7 year old daughter beating this year and she loves it. Looking forward to taking the twins as we'll next season when they turn 7. All the guns on the shoot think it is nice to see kids out beating ( as long as they're not pissing about too much ).

[QUOTE=FNK;706701]I just started taking my 7 year old daughter beating this year and she loves it. Looking forward to taking the twins as we'll next season when they turn 7. All the guns on the shoot think it is nice to see kids out beating ( as long as they're not pissing about too much ).[/QUOTE
    You are bound to get the odd fuddy duddy who doesn`t agree with children being out on a shoot but what they should remember is that these young ones are carrying the sports future.
    I see a bigger problem coming from the likes of school teachers who think that children shouldn`t be involved in killing animals at the weekends.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.