Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey - Bourbon or Rye?

Whiskey - Bourbon or Rye?

After reading the thread on best whiskies, I am impressed at all you Brit boys and your fine palates! It seems like there is a preference for the Islay stuff, especially Laphroaig (which is also my favourite).

Now, when I was hunting Elk in Wyoming I brought a bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength with me to share with the cowboys. It was good to know that globally, hunters seem to have a preference for something strong after the kill, however to my dismay none of my American hunters liked (or could handle) the peat and iodine taste of the Laphroaig.

They seemed to prefer the Canadian Rye or a straight corn-distilled Kentucky Bourbon (Makers Mark or Woodford). What do you think of that stuff? Do any of you drink it here after a hunt? And what is about Scotch, especially the powerful Laphroaig that is so appealing to us?

Have a Happy New Year!

Just a footnote: Most Canadian Rye whiskies today are blends; straight rye is hard to find. Before WWI, rye was a predominate grain used in whiskey making before farm land in the United States took to growing an abundance of corn through government subsidies (which helped make us so fat). I have a few straight rye bottles around;regarding taste, toffee and spice dominates!
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 29-12-2013 at 23:25.

I'm not a fan of bourbon or rye and I'm afraid I view the Islay malts with not much less disdain (though each to their own of course).

You might do better with something like the Speyside malts - Glen Livet & Glen Morangie spring to mind.

ATB,

Scrummy

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    After reading the thread on best whiskies, I am impressed at all you Brit boys and your fine palates! It seems like there is a preference for the Islay stuff, especially Laphroaig (which is also my favourite).

Now, when I was hunting Elk in Wyoming I brought a bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength with me to share with the cowboys. It was good to know that globally, hunters seem to have a preference for something strong after the kill, however to my dismay none of my American hunters liked (or could handle) the peat and iodine taste of the Laphroaig.

They seemed to prefer the Canadian Rye or a straight corn-distilled Kentucky Bourbon (Makers Mark or Woodford). What do you think of that stuff? Do any of you drink it here after a hunt? And what is about Scotch, especially the powerful Laphroaig that is so appealing to us?

Have a Happy New Year!
    That's because there all big girls blouses ,woman's drinks . Ive taken bottle after bottle of whisky to Canada a couple of Drams and they puggled great watching them trying to preform the next day is excellent .

Laphroaig is very peaty with salty seaweed overtones. Not my cup of tea. Not really got into Bourbon and the like but Balveny or Glenmorangie are sweeter and more delicate malts and would probably go down better.

Can't beat a good speyside (Singletons is mine, Lorraine likes Glenfiddich) but admit I'm partial to a glass of Jura now and again. Sorry but to my palate Laphroag is like drinking rancid cats piss. It's awful.

Bourbon? I don't drink perfume, thank you.

And believe me, I've tried.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Laphroiag is not to my liking at all ,this Xmas I received a Talisker ,a springbank a glen moray a ballentines and an Irish jamesones so some to go at !
    Norma

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Can't beat a good speyside (Singletons is mine, Lorraine likes Glenfiddich) but admit I'm partial to a glass of Jura now and again. Sorry but to my palate Laphroag is like drinking rancid cats piss. It's awful.
    Nail on head.

Nutty

I normally drink Bells or Grouse with 4 spoons of sugar topped up with boiling water and afterwards take a couple of painkillers an hour or so before I pop off to bed.
    Santas elves have brought me a litre bottle of Bells and a small box containing 3 bottles of Glenfiddich, 12 year old, 15 years old and 18 years old respectively.

These are sipping, not slurping brews so I may test them in a different manner.

HWH.

Well I'm a big fan of Talisker, Laphroaig, Jamesons and even the likes of bourbons, Jack Daniels, I could go on. Can't be on with you picky sorts. A good drink is a good drink. Of course I have my favourites, but really!