Thread: Isle of Wight Red Deer Tracks

Isle of Wight Red Deer Tracks

Some photos of the tracks left by a Red Deer Hind and Calf last night.

Red deer are extremely rare on the Isle of Wight but occasionally can be found in small maternal groups of a mature hind, calf and more rarely with a few more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hind & calf.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	327.1 KB 
ID:	36157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hind&calf2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	475.8 KB 
ID:	36158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0130.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	681.7 KB 
ID:	36159

Is it the Isle of Wight where the fc are determined to wipe them out ? Or am I thinking of somewhere else ??
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Is it the Isle of Wight where the fc are determined to wipe them out ? Or am I thinking of somewhere else ??
    You are quite correct, to quote Simon Hodgson, Chief Executive of Forest Enterprise England:-

"by keeping the Isle of Wight with its deer free status we and others can be assured of at least some areas with no deer impacts to compare and contrast with the biodiversity on the adjacent mainland"

I find this a bit odd as as far as I am aware the Biodiversity Duty and the Rio de Janeiro Convention on Biological Diversity applies both to the Forestry Commission and on the Isle of Wight, it would appear that Mr Hodgson believes otherwise!

As for the Isle of Wight being "deer free" evidence of Red, Roe, Muntjac and Fallow have all been sighted here since the 1970's so I would call into question the credibility of any scientific work based on this so called "deer free status".

atb Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim , seems such a shame that they kind of make the rules up as they go along , interesting that you said deer have been present since the 1970s ... Is that the case for all species ?
    Atb jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Tim , seems such a shame that they kind of make the rules up as they go along , interesting that you said deer have been present since the 1970s ... Is that the case for all species ?
    Atb jim
    Until comparatively recently it was only Red Stags and Fallow Bucks that were seen, unsurprising considering that the Isle of Wight is only a few miles from the New Forest, the strong swimming ability of deer and the wandering habits of male herding deer.

A small herd of Fallow also escaped from a tourist attraction and could be seen on and around the municipal tip until English Nature apparently had them killed.

I first saw a red hind and calf in the wild here around 15 years ago and sightings of female deer with young although still rare are now being seen more frequently. Muntjac have been seen within the past 10 years but the most recent arrival was the Roe deer, tracks of which were spotted earlier this year.

Despite the efforts of the Forestry Commission the Red deer are gradually establishing a wild breeding population, I do not currently have any information about whether any of the other species have breeding populations here.

atb Tim