Countryfile

Britain once again has enough forest to sustain lynx, environment suited to them. They were native fauna therefore Reintroduction is correct terminology.

Nonsense!

The forests of today, and even more importantly the land around them, bear no resemblance in structure, use or ecology to the forests of three hundred years ago.

Sheep loss mitigation: problem lynx repeatedly taking sheep shot under licence, use of shepherds or livestock guarding dogs, subsidising protection measures, compensation for losses

You keep mentioning culling of 'problem lynx' under licence as if it's a done deal. Given the current difficulties of getting a licence to deal with 'problem buzzards' I suggest slotting a 'problem' lynx will be just a teensy bit problematic. I like the concept of 'livestock guarding dogs' but you'd need to be really careful that no more than two dogs chase the predator ....

Personally I'm not so keen on yet more subsidies and compensation when I think we have some slightly more pressing problems to deal with in the countryside. Today a local rag reported that the Welsh Ambulance Service consistently fails to hit its (low) target of 8 minute response to 999 calls. On the same page it's reported that Powis Council -along with others in the Principality - have just been bunged an additional £1.19 million to promote recycling! It's a fairly typical example of the lunacy that passes for local government in the countryside, but not I suspect the sort of thing reported on Countryfile.

If you are so keen on reintroduction of apex predators how about a big vote for Yersina pestis. We used to have a lot of them about and they were brilliant at managing excess prey populations?

These so called Livestock guarding dogs that are raised by ewes and grow up believing they are sheep ( just a bit tougher than your average wooley) can become so protective that they will attack anything and anybody that THEY see as a threat to their flock, lamas are also used and recently desperate farmers in Aussie are using feral donkeys to protect their flocks against attack from packs of wild dogs.

Our countryside is doing just fine without big cats roaming about in it (unless your a believer of course:rofl:and if you are??? do we really need any more) just leave it be..

Back