Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had to get rid of a load of pigeons..

Had to get rid of a load of pigeons..

Finding ways of feeding game to my family, (all of whom consider them selves the latest food critiques from the Times Newspaper... ) has never been easy...

So tried a hot smoked pigeon breast today..
    Followed Gill (from River cottage) guidelines for the dry cure.. And gave it 20 mins in a beech smoke..

Worked out very well.. so thought I'd share. http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/...d-duck-breast/

my prodigy in action....

served as you can see as a warm salad... with black pudding, croutons, crispy potatoes, a balsamic and olive oil dressing...

its a good job they like it, theres another 40 to go at in the larder tonight...

A very under estimated meat. It can be fiddly to deal with well worth the effort.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    A very under estimated meat. It can be fiddly to deal with well worth the effort.
    Agreed... and would say it is my favourite of all feathered quarry..... 2nd only to venison on my all time favourites..
    Variety is the key to keeping the family feasting like kings..... and keeping me happy that they are eating decent healthy, orgainc, FREE food...

Cheers guys, I have just dribbled over my keyboard regards sbm

Quote Originally Posted by seibassman7 View Post
    Cheers guys, I have just dribbled over my keyboard regards sbm
    Me to Mathew, great job and cheers for the link
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD View Post
    Agreed... and would say it is my favourite of all feathered quarry..... 2nd only to venison on my all time favourites..
    Variety is the key to keeping the family feasting like kings..... and keeping me happy that they are eating decent healthy, orgainc, FREE food...
    Fantastic idea and I will be trying this very soon. I have the same stove top smoker! Rarely used if I am honest. Unlikely to be organic down our way feeding on the heavily fertilised clover/rye grass monocultures!

Pigeon burgers! That is all....

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    Fantastic idea and I will be trying this very soon. I have the same stove top smoker! Rarely used if I am honest. Unlikely to be organic down our way feeding on the heavily fertilised clover/rye grass monocultures!
    Agreed, and a typo on my part... I enjoyed the meal with a bottle of Pinot Noir.... A better description would have been free range.. but i was tipsy in charge of a keyboard.. and heck... these things happen

Used to rely on pigeon for my weekly meet ration at university. Ate so much of it we tried to find different ways to cook it. One thing that was very successful was making pate with it.

See you followed the suggestion to put some rabbit droppings on floor of grill to enhance the smokey favour, excellent tip.