Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seems to be quite a few deer in our woodland :)

Seems to be quite a few deer in our woodland :)

I have 7 acres of woodland attached to our little farm that we bought this year. We know there's deer around as we've startled the odd one when walking the dog and seen a few crossing the fields. In the past few days, while walking round the wood, I'm starting to get my eye in spotting deer slots and realising that there must be quite a few going through. Today I found what looks to be a pathway they use, followed it from one side of the wood to the other and found an obvious point that they're using to cross the boundary bank. Not sure what type they are, I'm still learning to id them, but have seen what I'm fairly sure are a couple of roe deer crossing out of the woods in the past.

Should give me lots of learning opportunity watching them while I'm applying for my FAC and getting some experience with stalking under my belt before attempting to bag some next year. Need to put a high seat in and just spend time down there waiting and watching for them. Interesting to see how your start seeing new things in the woods as you get your eye in and start learning to see things that are already there but that you used to just walk past unseeing.

Think I've a fun year ahead of me

have fun and enjoy, just dont overshoot

You could also put a trailcam out mate. I love using mine and the kids can't wait to see what we get on film too.

But you're right you have a fun time in store so enjoy it,

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Enjoy it mate, and as said don't over shoot !

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    I have 7 acres of woodland attached to our little farm that we bought this year. We know there's deer around as we've startled the odd one when walking the dog and seen a few crossing the fields. In the past few days, while walking round the wood, I'm starting to get my eye in spotting deer slots and realising that there must be quite a few going through. Today I found what looks to be a pathway they use, followed it from one side of the wood to the other and found an obvious point that they're using to cross the boundary bank. Not sure what type they are, I'm still learning to id them, but have seen what I'm fairly sure are a couple of roe deer crossing out of the woods in the past.

Should give me lots of learning opportunity watching them while I'm applying for my FAC and getting some experience with stalking under my belt before attempting to bag some next year. Need to put a high seat in and just spend time down there waiting and watching for them. Interesting to see how your start seeing new things in the woods as you get your eye in and start learning to see things that are already there but that you used to just walk past unseeing.

Think I've a fun year ahead of me
    Could you put a camera in the woods near to where they cross it would give you a better picture of what deer you have going through your woods .plus 1on a high seat for your own purpose to observe as well good luck looking forward to any furtre write ups
    DJC

Trail cam needed your in for a suprise might be something bigger than roe, you may need a big deep freeze.

d

You'll find a Trail Cam will show you how heavy the traffic really is.
    You will be surprised to find how just a few deer following a track once or twice a week can make a 'path' that looks a lot more promising than it is. I have set out trail cams on deer paths for weeks and only managed to get two or three on film. You can have a long wait if staking out from a high seat! Than sometimes the deer can simply jump in your arms, quite unexpectedly.
    If you can find two deer-path crossing than that is the obvious place to look for a high seat position 30-70 yards away. If you think you will do most of your stalking at sunset try to have it facing approx. East as it gives you an advantage with the light. And visa versa, if you are an AM stalker try to position it facing West. Also work out your different routes to the high seat with different wind directions - you should aim to reach your high seat quietly and more or less approaching into the wind.
    Trying to 'shoot' deer using a normal camera is almost as exiting and a great way to learn the field craft you will need later on.

Good luck and enjoy.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    You'll find a Trail Cam will show you how heavy the traffic really is.
    You will be surprised to find how just a few deer following a track once or twice a week can make a 'path' that looks a lot more promisirng than it is.
    that has been my experience as well. I've got deer motorways that might only see 2 or 3 deer in a month walk up them. My theory is that these areas might get heavy use in summer and so the deer wear away the fresh plant growth. When the vegetation dies back in autumn this worn area then looks like hundreds of deer are using it.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

A few forays at night with a lamp might give a better idea of numbers.

Take some pics of the droppings and slots and put them on here, also check barbed wire for hair, but best of all is as all ready been mentioned, stick up a trail cam.
    Cheers
    Richard