Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L.E Wilson neck die problem!

L.E Wilson neck die problem!

Hi all,

I'm completely new to reloading. I've recently received the best surprise birthday gift ever... A complete reloading kit. I'm reloading .243 win and I'm having a small problem with the neck die which is a L.E Wilson neck die. Once fired factory will sit flush in the die using my sinclair arbor press, though I think I'm using more pressure than should be needed. The cases that have been fired twice or three times through my rifle won't! The press doesn't provide enough pressure to press the cases flush. Can anyone advise me on what I can do?

Do I need to fully resize my cases or use a heavier pressure press or maybe something else? I know that I can send the die back to L.E Wilson with 3 once fired cases for them to ream it out but as I can seat once fired cases flush this tells me it won't help. I'm a bit confused and any advice would be greatly received.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticMrFox View Post
    Hi all,

I'm completely new to reloading. I've recently received the best surprise birthday gift ever... A complete reloading kit. I'm reloading .243 win and I'm having a small problem with the neck die which is a L.E Wilson neck die. Once fired factory will sit flush in the die using my sinclair arbor press, though I think I'm using more pressure than should be needed. The cases that have been fired twice or three times through my rifle won't! The press doesn't provide enough pressure to press the cases flush. Can anyone advise me on what I can do?

Do I need to fully resize my cases or use a heavier pressure press or maybe something else? I know that I can send the die back to L.E Wilson with 3 once fired cases for them to ream it out but as I can seat once fired cases flush this tells me it won't help. I'm a bit confused and any advice would be greatly received.

Regards
    That's an odd choice of a reloading outfit for a beginner. That is usually the set up for a BR/Comp shooter. Chances are they will need a FL resizing or you will need a heavier arbor press.~Muir

Yeah the gear was researched by my brother and a friend who has reloaded for years and my way has always been to buy right and buy once so that's the kit I was bought. FL size sounds like a probable route. Cheers for the advice Muir much appreciated.

Suspect that the arbor press is more suited to tight necked chambers where the brass is hardly worked at all. If you are loading for a normal factory rifle I suspect that you would be better served by a strong single stage press and a conventional die set.

Fantastic, there are a couple of solutions to your problem, i had the same problem with a factory chamber and wilson dies.
    If you know a machinsit or someone with a lathe get them to polish out the die untill a fired case can easily be pushed in flush with little finger pressure, alternatively buy threaded dies and press and do it the conventially way most reloaders do when they start off.
    Using and understanding hand dies is more for the experienced handloader then a beginner.

Ian.

Heavier press or hammer is not the way to go, the case needs to fit snug/flush with no effort as only 3/16" of the neck is sized by the bush, forcing it in harder will do no good for accuracy or your dies or brass. You brother was advised well, you have the equipment to make target quality ammunition, full length sizing in a conventional press is a sticky horrible affair, stick to the Wilson equipment, cure the problem, and move on. If you treat your brothers friend well (and help him put up his shed) I'm sure he will sort the problem.

it could be either of 3 problems.

1. Chamber in your entry level factory rifle is slightly larger than the die, and the die needs sorting/polishing.
    2. Brass has been used in at least 4 different rifles and fl resized an unknown number of times before it was loaded for you to use (bloody accurate ammo though, eh.?) new decent brass might be all you need.
    3. You're a ham-fisted chump and shouldn't bet let loose near anything with a keyboard or trigger, let alone be given the ability to make things that goes bang.

I suspect it's a combination of 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    Heavier press or hammer is not the way to go, the case needs to fit snug/flush with no effort as only 3/16" of the neck is sized by the bush, forcing it in harder will do no good for accuracy or your dies or brass. You brother was advised well, you have the equipment to make target quality ammunition, full length sizing in a conventional press is a sticky horrible affair, stick to the Wilson equipment, cure the problem, and move on. If you treat your brothers friend well (and help him put up his shed) I'm sure he will sort the problem.

it could be either of 3 problems.

1. Chamber in your entry level factory rifle is slightly larger than the die, and the die needs sorting/polishing.
    2. Brass has been used in at least 4 different rifles and fl resized an unknown number of times before it was loaded for you to use (bloody accurate ammo though, eh.?) new decent brass might be all you need.
    3. You're a ham-fisted chump and shouldn't bet let loose near anything with a keyboard or trigger, let alone be given the ability to make things that goes bang.

I suspect it's a combination of 1 & 3
    You wouldent have a shed that needs putting up then Garry ?
    Regards pete

Well maybe you should ask the guy who recommended the wilson ̶t̶o̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ dies...
    They are certainly not the tools to learn reloading with as they come with far too much BS. Target quality ammo is easily attained with a normal press and dies -
    anyone who tells you otherwise does not know how to use a conventional set or has the faddy rose coloured glasses on.

it is probably a full length sizing issue
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    Well maybe you should ask the guy who recommended the wilson ̶t̶o̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ dies...
    They are certainly not the tools to learn reloading with as they come with far too much BS. Target quality ammo is easily attained with a normal press and dies -
    anyone who tells you otherwise does not know how to use a conventional set or has the faddy rose coloured glasses on.
    not if you don't have room for a normal press and all the parafinalia, Wilson kit + arbour press packs up into a small case, totally portable and such a joy to use. Manufactures ammo with much less run out also. I,d say, they are easier to use than a normal press, just need to resolve this phenomenum. I've tried some of the many times fired brass from this rifle in my Wilson die and the result is the same, brass won't go in. Brass from other .243's including my own, his brothers and other people's once fired factory stuff goes straight in as expected.