Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun at the Loading Bench.

Fun at the Loading Bench.

It was a cold and snowy day here in the waste lands and I just didn't have it in me to spend much time out of doors. I did some reloading tonight and some tidying up in preparation for a friend to come over and see how my loading room is set up.

While in there, I got looking at my 7-08 dies and the bins of once fired military 308 Brass I have in the corner of the shop. Seven millimeter Oh Eight brass is scarce right now and I decided to play around for a bit to see if I could make some useable 7mm-08 brass from the military stockpiles. A couple of dozen measurements of the mil-surp brass showed the necks to be .002" to .003" thicker than factory 7-08. FL resizing the brass to 7mm-08 and making a dummy round showed that there was room in the neck area of my TIKKA T-3 but I get nervous around thick necks so the first order was to reduce the thickness of the brass.

I don't like neck turning, but I am a fan of neck reaming. I decided to ream the 308 brass but all I have is a .308" reamer for my Forster trimmer. FL resized 308 would have too much removed, and unsized brass would have nothing removed. From a previous experiment I knew that I could lightly resize the 308 with a Lee Collet die and just take a skim cut from the brass with a 308 reamer. I ran several cases into the Collet die, and then ran them in my Forster with the reamer in place before I got the .012" reading I was wanting.

Once this setting was locked I repeated the operation for 20 cases. I then FL resized in my RCBS 7mm-08 die and trimmed to length. All 20 cases chambered easily in my TIKKA. A dummy made up with a Sierra GK gave the exact same micrometer reading across the neck as those I currently have loaded using commercial brass.

I now need to swage the primer pockets and finally, weigh all 20 cases and set them aside so that at some point, I can compare the average weight of the military casing against the average weight of the commercial brass for load adjustment. That will happen another day. Not a completed project but not bad for a snowy afternoon's puttering.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    It was a cold and snowy day here in the waste lands and I just didn't have it in me to spend much time out of doors. I did some reloading tonight and some tidying up in preparation for a friend to come over and see how my loading room is set up.

While in there, I got looking at my 7-08 dies and the bins of once fired military 308 Brass I have in the corner of the shop. Seven millimeter Oh Eight brass is scarce right now and I decided to play around for a bit to see if I could make some useable 7mm-08 brass from the military stockpiles. A couple of dozen measurements of the mil-surp brass showed the necks to be .002" to .003" thicker than factory 7-08. FL resizing the brass to 7mm-08 and making a dummy round showed that there was room in the neck area of my TIKKA T-3 but I get nervous around thick necks so the first order was to reduce the thickness of the brass.

I don't like neck turning, but I am a fan of neck reaming. I decided to ream the 308 brass but all I have is a .308" reamer for my Forster trimmer. FL resized 308 would have too much removed, and unsized brass would have nothing removed. From a previous experiment I knew that I could lightly resize the 308 with a Lee Collet die and just take a skim cut from the brass with a 308 reamer. I ran several cases into the Collet die, and then ran them in my Forster with the reamer in place before I got the .012" reading I was wanting.

Once this setting was locked I repeated the operation for 20 cases. I then FL resized in my RCBS 7mm-08 die and trimmed to length. All 20 cases chambered easily in my TIKKA. A dummy made up with a Sierra GK gave the exact same micrometer reading across the neck as those I currently have loaded using commercial brass.

I now need to swage the primer pockets and finally, weigh all 20 cases and set them aside so that at some point, I can compare the average weight of the military casing against the average weight of the commercial brass for load adjustment. That will happen another day. Not a completed project but not bad for a snowy afternoon's puttering.~Muir
    Good idea, I hate turning necks, it's a tedious job. I have a good supply of 7mm-08 brass and there's a lot available here. If you need some , drop me a line.

AB

I too find neck turning tedious and even having purchased and setup a K&M cutter for each calibre/rifle including my 22 Hornet so there is no 'fiddling' and 'experimentation' required to mirror the last batch thickness.

Problem is I don't trust anyone else to do it including my 11-year old Daughter!

Cheers

K

Must admit to really disliking the hand held Noddy toys that are sold for outside neck turning.
    I make my own hardened reamer guides for FL dies so that I can inside neck ream without getting aching paws from case handling...

Chuck the reamer in a leccy screwdriver and Bob's your knob - consistent result!
    This particular set is for reaming re-sized 204R brass to the correct .17 Remington neck dimension.

Hi Muir
    What kit do you use for primer pocket swaging and primer crimp removal on the military stuff?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Hi Muir
    What kit do you use for primer pocket swaging and primer crimp removal on the military stuff?

Ian
    I have used the same RCBS Primer Pocket Swager for 30 years now. The unit works well but you need to screw it down more than you would think. Once set, it works well. That said, friends have been trying to talk me into the Dillon or Forster on the basis of speed but The RCBS is pretty fast once you get used to it.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    Good idea, I hate turning necks, it's a tedious job. I have a good supply of 7mm-08 brass and there's a lot available here. If you need some , drop me a line.

AB
    Thanks Amigo.~Muir

Of course, you could just make an inside reamer insert for the newer Lee trim dies that reamed the brass...just saying.

I think the trim dies are what, $7?

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have used the same RCBS Primer Pocket Swager for 30 years now. The unit works well but you need to screw it down more than you would think. Once set, it works well. That said, friends have been trying to talk me into the Dillon or Forster on the basis of speed but The RCBS is pretty fast once you get used to it.~Muir
    Thanks Muir - It looks like a good sound design - I've put one on my wish list. Alternatively I might be able to get a mate to turn up a set of bits to fit into an old die body. (Tight fisted Yorkshireman living in Scotland syndrome!)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Of course, you could just make an inside reamer insert for the newer Lee trim dies that reamed the brass...just saying.

I think the trim dies are what, $7?
    Nine bucks and you're right. I could turn a shaft and mount a cutter... but.... It would need make the reamer. I guess that's what the dividing head is for, eh??~Muir