Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer hocks, is it necessary to fully thaw out before laying a trail?

Deer hocks, is it necessary to fully thaw out before laying a trail?

Hi all,

I'm doing some tracking with my teckel and was just wondering is it necessary to fully thaw out the hocks before laying the trail or will the dogs nose be good enough to pick up the scent for frozen ones, he reacts straight away to the scent on my hands when I remove them from the freezer?

I've been letting them thaw out for about an hour up to now but was just wondering from the more experienced how you go about it ?

Thanks
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

good question, i have some hanging in a plastic bag in tha garage as mine were frozen. You will get better responces from people who are more experienced but my thoughts where the cleves wouldn't open out properly to lay the scent from the glands especially if you are doing an older track, i know what you mean from the scent off your hands as my hound goes nuts too, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    good question, i have some hanging in a plastic bag in tha garage as mine were frozen. You will get better responces from people who are more experienced but my thoughts where the cleves wouldn't open out properly to lay the scent from the glands especially if you are doing an older track, i know what you mean from the scent off your hands as my hound goes nuts too, atb wayne
    Thanks mate, I always thaw them out as a rule but just seeing the way the dog reacts with the scent when they are fresh from the freezer was just checking the water to see how other more experienced people go about it.
    Jonathan

Johner

what are you trying to achieve here is the easy answer
    is it to follow a dedicated track or just a scent associated one

as whilst the hoof is thawing it will leave a difference in strength of scent for the dog to follow
    so as you lay the track and the hoof slowly defrosts it will leave a stronger scent not a weaker one
    so you are going backwards in your training
    and there fore not testing the or training the dog for harder tracks
    i hope this makes sense

Hi stone,

Thanks for the reply.

I would prefer him just to follow roe deer as at the moment he's reacting on every fresh scent in the forest from dog walker to moose

I guess then if we want to keep the scent constant it's best to let it fully defrost, i'll make sure I do this from now on.

I laid a trail about 50 meters for him today in a big u shape zig-zagging between trees as I went, this led from my back garden into a field and some trees behind my house, this is used a lot by dog walkers and there are cats and occasional roe deer so it was encouraging to see him ignoring all the other scents and sticking onto the fresh laid roe scent. I hope by repeating this in the forest over and over he will slowly begin to igonre all the other scents and just react on the roe as he gets praise and a treat at the end.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Jonathan

Hi Jonher,

just to through another spanner in the works,
    yes properly thawed out hoofs are better and will leave more scent,
    if this is your dogs first go at tracking it would be better to use hoofs from the herding species(fallow, red, sika) as roe scent is harder to track but will come with practice later in your training.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by cookingfat View Post
    Hi Jonher,

just to through another spanner in the works,
    yes properly thawed out hoofs are better and will leave more scent,
    if this is your dogs first go at tracking it would be better to use hoofs from the herding species(fallow, red, sika) as roe scent is harder to track but will come with practice later in your training.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply, I've been training him on tracking for a few months now, nothing serious but just to get him interested in the scents and rewarding him when he follows it to the end.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any fallow or red hocks as we don't have them in the area, I only have a bunch of roe hocks, I guess by fully thawing out the hocks then I'm giving the dog the best possible scent trail I can.
    Jonathan

...thawed out, thats the proper way to do so...
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildboar1973 View Post
    ...thawed out, thats the proper way to do so...
    Thanks for the reply!
    Jonathan

Johner I don't worry about thawing them out. Mind you by the time I get home they are pretty much thawed. My dogs will follow the artificial scent no problems. I put plenty of cross overs of my own scent to make sure they aren't tracking me. I use a piece of liver and drop some blood every so often. Here is the older dog on frozen hock.