Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

Unhappy Advice needed

Hi iam after any advice concerning my .243.
    Yesterday i made up a dummy round once the round was finished i.e. correct seating depth oal etc.
    I fed the round into a remington and it fed with no issues also tested the round in a ruger again with no issues but when i tried it in my CZ550 i needed to use a little bit of effort to fully close the bolt.
    Any ideas welcome
    Mjd237

Did you full length size or just neck size the case?
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    Did you full length size or just neck size the case?
    Full length resize .

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    it's possible that the bullet was seated too far out for the cz. make up a fresh dummy round for each rifle and measure the overall legth, you'll see there's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mjd237 View Post
    Full length resize .
    It's most likely that both chamber are cut to slightly different lengths, so if you full length sized to suit the Remy, the CZ may be slightly shorter. It must be pretty close if you can still close the bolt. Do you have any fired cases to measure from each with a headspace comparator?
    Or it could be that the bullet is engaging the rifling earlier in the CZ, ie shorter throat and the resistance your feeling is the bullet engraving on the rifling.

I had a similar problem and found that the throat on my Krico was tight. Ended up having to always full size and had to wind the die down a bit more to bump the case neck back a thou.

Yesterday i made up a dummy round once the round was finished i.e. correct seating depth oal etc.
    I fed the round into a remington and it fed with no issues also tested the round in a ruger again with no issues but when i tried it in my CZ550 i needed to use a little bit of effort to fully close the bolt.
    Any ideas welcome
    Mjd237
    Sorry if this is sucking eggs but does your CZ have controlled feed and did you load from the mag or loose into the chamber?
    A bit of extra effort to get the extractor over the rim isn't unusual - if it took extra effort to extract as well then I'd have a rethink.

Account Suspended
    Any ideas welcome
    Mjd237
    you cant expect a round to chamber in 3 different rifles unless you have full sized it back to minimum SAMMI spec,to check this you will need a set of head space gauges to measure the brass correctly,Stoney Point makes these.

Quote Originally Posted by stecad View Post
    I had a similar problem and found that the throat on my Krico was tight. Ended up having to always full size and had to wind the die down a bit more to bump the case neck back a thou.
    Had similar with my Tikka 243 with brass which had been fired in that rifle, after FL sizing some would not chamber. I had to re adjust the die a bit more to bump the neck back, as above
    Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by 1 in the chamber View Post
    you cant expect a round to chamber in 3 different rifles unless you have full sized it back to minimum SAMMI spec,to check this you will need a set of head space gauges to measure the brass correctly,Stoney Point makes these.

Agreed if your loading for 3 rifles better to tailor load to suit each individual rifle or load to sammi min specs