Advice needed

mjd237

Hi iam after any advice concerning my .243.
Yesterday i made up a dummy round once the round was finished i.e. correct seating depth oal etc.
I fed the round into a remington and it fed with no issues also tested the round in a ruger again with no issues but when i tried it in my CZ550 i needed to use a little bit of effort to fully close the bolt.
Any ideas welcome
Mjd237

it's possible that the bullet was seated too far out for the cz. make up a fresh dummy round for each rifle and measure the overall legth, you'll see there's a difference.

Full length resize .

It's most likely that both chamber are cut to slightly different lengths, so if you full length sized to suit the Remy, the CZ may be slightly shorter. It must be pretty close if you can still close the bolt. Do you have any fired cases to measure from each with a headspace comparator?
Or it could be that the bullet is engaging the rifling earlier in the CZ, ie shorter throat and the resistance your feeling is the bullet engraving on the rifling.

I had a similar problem and found that the throat on my Krico was tight. Ended up having to always full size and had to wind the die down a bit more to bump the case neck back a thou.

Yesterday i made up a dummy round once the round was finished i.e. correct seating depth oal etc.
I fed the round into a remington and it fed with no issues also tested the round in a ruger again with no issues but when i tried it in my CZ550 i needed to use a little bit of effort to fully close the bolt.
Any ideas welcome
Mjd237
Sorry if this is sucking eggs but does your CZ have controlled feed and did you load from the mag or loose into the chamber?
A bit of extra effort to get the extractor over the rim isn't unusual - if it took extra effort to extract as well then I'd have a rethink.

Any ideas welcome
Mjd237
you cant expect a round to chamber in 3 different rifles unless you have full sized it back to minimum SAMMI spec,to check this you will need a set of head space gauges to measure the brass correctly,Stoney Point makes these.

I had a similar problem and found that the throat on my Krico was tight. Ended up having to always full size and had to wind the die down a bit more to bump the case neck back a thou.

Had similar with my Tikka 243 with brass which had been fired in that rifle, after FL sizing some would not chamber. I had to re adjust the die a bit more to bump the neck back, as above
Wingy

you cant expect a round to chamber in 3 different rifles unless you have full sized it back to minimum SAMMI spec,to check this you will need a set of head space gauges to measure the brass correctly,Stoney Point makes these.

Agreed if your loading for 3 rifles better to tailor load to suit each individual rifle or load to sammi min specs

Agreed if your loading for 3 rifles better to tailor load to suit each individual rifle or load to sammi min specs
Iam aware of that fact if you read my post again i re-sized to sammi spec. However further to my origional post i have now rectified the issue and thank you to everyone who posted many thanks and all the best for the new year.

Agree with gr1ffer. However the main point of reloading is to tune your reloads to suit the individual rifle. The bullet seating depth is too long or the head space is. To check the head space try to chamber a resized case without the bullet seated. If it is difficult to do or you cant close the bolt then screw the die in a wee bit and try again. The idea is for the case to fit the chamber tightly but not too tight as to create a problem closing the bolt

Im just full length resizing to factory spec and it fits in every breach hahaha....this forum needs more hilarity and less armchair gunny sgts.....In verritate religionis confidi ...Nisi dominus frustra...XXV

Any ideas welcome
Mjd237

Look at the bullet to see whether there are any marks from the lands on it. (The lands are the part of the rifing tha grips and engraves the bullet to make it spin.) Use a magnifyiing glass to examine the bullet. If you land marks, then the bullet is seated out to far for that rifle. However, if there are no marks on the bullet then it is probably a headspace problem: the headspace in the CZ is shorter than your cartridge case. See here

Headspace (firearms) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and here

http://www.lasc.us/bellmHeadspace.htm

Ensure your resizing die is correctly set up.

-JMS

Back