Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting a Mannlicher mod m trigger guard/bottom plastic?

Casting a Mannlicher mod m trigger guard/bottom plastic?

Hi all,
    Happy New year!!
    I have a Mannlicher mod m in .270. Which I paid 95.00 for (it would not hold a group under four inches) I spent three hours cleaning the Barrel, and got rid of the apel mounts. First loads I tried achieved under an inch at 100yards!!!!!
    I went out yesterday morning and managed two does after an hour and a bit stalk. It performed like a well trusted old friend!
    So I got to thinking????? I have a stock set for inletting and I began wondering could the bottom plastic be lost cast in steel????????? As I just can't admire plastic how ever hard I try!!
    Regards and happy New year Karamoja

I have had quite a few Steyrs, mostly SSGs in different cofigurations but I also now have a mod m swede. I agree about the plastic magazine/housing being a weak component. There is a company that does aftermarket stocks and magazine assemblies called Styria Arms but they do not do anything for the long action as far as I can see. Let me know if you come up with anything.

.... I might also bed my model M so let me know how you get on with this also.

I know a very skilled guy who makes castings for classic car parts - cars that parts are not available for any more.

It would cost a lot, but I'm sure a form could be made using the original part as a pattern,,,,

I can put you in touch, but expect the bill to be three figures

or make a drawing, get a lump of steel, something that machines easy and can be blued....files, saw, drill ....you'll be done in a few evenings.
    at a push one can aluminium cast at home, steel is a bit ott.
    edi

Good idea Edi

Quote Originally Posted by karamoja View Post
    Hi all,
    Happy New year!!
    I have a Mannlicher mod m in .270. Which I paid 95.00 for (it would not hold a group under four inches) I spent three hours cleaning the Barrel, and got rid of the apel mounts. First loads I tried achieved under an inch at 100yards!!!!!
    I went out yesterday morning and managed two does after an hour and a bit stalk. It performed like a well trusted old friend!
    So I got to thinking????? I have a stock set for inletting and I began wondering could the bottom plastic be lost cast in steel????????? As I just can't admire plastic how ever hard I try!!
    Regards and happy New year Karamoja
    If the Apel mounts were in any way contributing to the poor accuracy and are of the quick release variety it will be down to incorrect setup rather than any inherent weakness.

There are several key adjustment screws that if not set correctly will cause problems and none more so than that which determines tension on the rear open/closed gate. It sits beneath an outer lock-off screw.

Just a thought as you've discarded circa 300 worth of Austrian engineering!

K

Thanks for the thoughts, the guy who casts classic car parts sounds like a possible. Making my own, whilst I do have the basic skill set, the quality would be equal to it!! I tried to look at the styria arms sitewith little Germany it was not much good. I will and email them!
    Regards Karamoja

Hi Kenchblaize,
    I know the Apel mounts are superb pieces of quality quick release engineering, and as you say they do need correct setting up. I replaced them with some Talley rings I had as I had no need for quick release. The talleys are elegantly simple.
    Apel mounts, however well made and solid once set (In Germany a smith would generally fit a scope) I am not huge fan, despite in my teens thinking they were the ultimate design, along with a nickel scope ( which I also have several). yes they are lovely, but very complex and I don't need qd on this rifle.
    Regards K
    Last edited by karamoja; 31-12-2013 at 06:33.

No problem as its not as if I'm a spokesman for this particular brand of non "projectionless" scope rings & mounts!

K

Sorry if I sounded tetchy, I have been up on off all night with a teething toddler. Funny how getting up for stalking does not have the same effect!
    K