Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disparate Treatment Estimates. Beware !

Disparate Treatment Estimates. Beware !

In the past three months my 9.5 years old border terrier has had two infections in his mouth that have made him quite ill. My local vet who is an employee of a large group concern has treated him successfully. The second occasion involved one visit to the surgery, examination, an antibiotic injection, a B12 injection, 7 Omeprazol tabs , 7 antibiotic tabs and 3 tins of food, 104.

She said that he needed his teeth cleaned under general anaesthetic and possibly some teeth removed.

I was a little surprised at the bill of 104 so asked for an estimate for the cleaning and/or extraction(s). After some prevarication I was told 430 !.

I have now obtained another quote from my brother's vet, for 170 (including vat) to include up to 3 extractions.

I informed my vet of this and asked them to re-examine their price. They returned my call advising that there would be no reduction. I informed them that they had just lost a customer.

There has been several changes at this company but I am surprised that they would attempt such a rip-off on a regular and loyal customer particularly after I had queried it.

Needless to say I have taken my business elsewhere and will do my best to warn others.

It takes all types and there are good, bad and indifferent in all professions.

The moral of the story is 'ask for an estimate, shop around and be on guard if your old and trusted vet leaves'. Or if one of these all singing and dancing groups takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    In the past three months my 9.5 years old border terrier has had two infections in his mouth that have made him quite ill. My local vet who is an employee of a large group concern has treated him successfully. The second occasion involved one visit to the surgery, examination, an antibiotic injection, a B12 injection, 7 Omeprazol tabs , 7 antibiotic tabs and 3 tins of food, 104.

She said that he needed his teeth cleaned under general anaesthetic and possibly some teeth removed.

I was a little surprised at the bill of 104 so asked for an estimate for the cleaning and/or extraction(s). After some prevarication I was told 430 !.

I have now obtained another quote from my brother's vet, for 170 (including vat) to include up to 3 extractions.

I informed my vet of this and asked them to re-examine their price. They returned my call advising that there would be no reduction. I informed them that they had just lost a customer.

There has been several changes at this company but I am surprised that they would attempt such a rip-off on a regular and loyal customer particularly after I had queried it.

Needless to say I have taken my business elsewhere and will do my best to warn others.

It takes all types and there are good, bad and indifferent in all professions.

The moral of the story is 'ask for an estimate, shop around and be on guard if your old and trusted vet leaves'. Or if one of these all singing and dancing groups takes over.

Get his teeth seen to the dog will feel better ,it will save other bacteria problems for the dogs .

Many vets out there can be rather shocking when it comes to dental work. Over the last few years we have learnt a lot and our standards are improving. This does cost more but you do a better job. A better job takes time and costs money.

If your cheap quote is one of those vets who pulls the loose (easy) ones and polishes the others that seem firm then the very best of luck to you. You may be in the same position in 6 months time.

I would bet you a hell of a lot of money that the two 'dentals' are not the same.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Any kind of insurance cover?

A mate of mine took his lab to have her annual check. During this it was found that she could do with her teeth cleaned and a possible extraction.The day after the dental work she noticeably was walking to her left and bumping into things. This condition got worse, she eventually was put down and it was thought she may have taken a stroke during the anaesthetic. Over the years the same vets have operated on a few of my dogs and i would trust them entirely but I know that the cost of the general anaesthetic alone is more than half your 170 quote so as Apache suggests the best dental treatment and care of your dog during what is a procedure with risks may not be the cheapest option. 430 does seem a lot but then again to me 170 sounds cheap for a fair bit of work.

Its difficult if the only way of differentiating the quality of the service is the cost. I would hate to be in a position of having two quotes and going for the most expensive because by definition it must be better.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Get his teeth seen to the dog will feel better ,it will save other bacteria problems for the dogs .
    That is exactly what I am in the process of doing. I look after my dogs and have no objection to paying a reasonable fee for treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Many vets out there can be rather shocking when it comes to dental work. Over the last few years we have learnt a lot and our standards are improving. This does cost more but you do a better job. A better job takes time and costs money.

If your cheap quote is one of those vets who pulls the loose (easy) ones and polishes the others that seem firm then the very best of luck to you. You may be in the same position in 6 months time.

I would bet you a hell of a lot of money that the two 'dentals' are not the same.

I very much value your opinion and have carefully followed and understood other threads relating to fees, drug costs, staffing, premises etc.
    I appreciate that we must not compare apples with pears.
    Last year my brother's vet operated on his thirteen years old Jack Russell. The dog was castrated, teeth cleaned and four extracted. It made a new dog of the him.
    The bill ? 150.
    I was expecting to pay 200 to 250 but not 430. I do not shy away from doing the right thing for my dogs, and example of which is I spent over 600 on having a growth removed from my Border terrier's side. That included all tests and histology. Unfortunately the vet who did it has left and so has her excellent vet-nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    That is exactly what I am in the process of doing. I look after my dogs and have no objection to paying a reasonable fee for treatment.
    I took a springer of mine in it cost 120.00 for 19 teeth the dog was instantly brighter the dental health is no different of that of a human ,I had always cleaned descaled there teeth over the years obviously that wasn't enough .

In saying the above I've got a excellent vet who recognises that these are work dogs and what I do for a living helps
    Last edited by widows son; 31-12-2013 at 10:26.

Just had an estimate from a vet practice in a local market town. This vet practice was recommended to me by a good friend who is an established breeder of Labradors. My friend also showed me some of her recent treatment bills, which were an eye-opener to say the least.

Price including pre-op bloods, fluids if necessary, thirty minutes of extraction time, scale and polish plus medication to go home with 299.50 maximum.
    Pre-op bloods recommended as he is over eight years of age.

A little more than I expected but I will go with it and he is booked in for Thursday morning. Still at least 130 less than my local who has lost the business permanently.