Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: moderator clasification

Account Suspended

moderator clasification

I have had a good read of this section and don't seem to be able to find anything on this subject, so here goes..

Have .243, have slot for .243 mod
    Have been offered various moderators by various shops and private sellers
    most have been up to .30 cal
    when asked about this have had various answers including does not matter to i will write it on as a .243 mod,
    having done a bit more reading and had some informed advice it seems it would be best to have a .30 cal moderator for the longer target bullets to avoid clipping.
    My question is should i apply for a variation to get a .30 cal mod added or rely on what i am being told by the shops, or who should i approach to get the correct details from? would i then be able to sell this on as a .243 mod or only as it is proofed to?
    Have also been told that i don't have to have a proofed mod on my rifle????
    Any help welcome

Quote Originally Posted by TelTime View Post
    I have had a good read of this section and don't seem to be able to find anything on this subject, so here goes..

when asked about this have had various answers including does not matter to i will write it on as a .243 mod,
    having done a bit more reading and had some informed advice it seems it would be best to have a .30 cal moderator for the longer target bullets to avoid clipping.
    My question is should i apply for a variation to get a .30 cal mod added or rely on what i am being told by the shops, or who should i approach to get the correct details from? would i then be able to sell this on as a .243 mod or only as it is proofed to?
    Any help welcome
    I'm sure my ticket is rim fire mod and full bore mod, so they can be swapped if needed. What does ur ticket say full bore or exact cal??

Any help welcome
    A VERITABLE MINEFIELD. I await the world being out to rights.

I have a slot for a .270 mod 'filled' with an unproofed .30 mod, and a slot for a .243 mod 'filled' by an unproofed .25 mod
    Also, a slot for a .22-250 mod 'filled' with a .25 mod proofed-stamped as .22/250, although it would obviously work on anything reasonable up to .25cal including the .243.

My (admittedly not uncontested) view is that the slot is not allowing you to own in abstract one .243 mod, but allowing you to own a mod attached to your .243. As such, just as with my .22/250, .243 and .270, it seems that it would not be unreasonable to 'fill the slot' with a mod of a larger size.

Just my view, as I say.

my FAC states the size/cal for each rifle, why not just buy the size you need for a .243. Depending on what make/type of mod you purchase, you can change the diffuser inside to add different sizes if you wanted to.
    atb
    simon

Account Suspended
    mine aswell simon1979, i have been advised though that the longer bullets i want to use for long range targets clip on the way out with a .243 specific sized mod

mine aswell simon1979, i have been advised though that the longer bullets i want to use for long range targets clip on the way out with a .243 specific sized mod
    I dont have any problems with mine, but im not shooting long range. The easyest thing is to speak with your FLO, not sure how you stand if someone sold you a .30 mod, and entered it on your FAC as a .243 mod, as you both would notifly the firearms department of the transfer and purchase, im not sure if the police double check the information from both parties. If they do it may caurse a problem, but im not 100% sure.

atb
    simon
    Last edited by simon1979; 30-12-2013 at 23:02. Reason: typo

SD Regular
    The size of the hole does vary from make to make. The smaller the hole, all other things being equal, the more noise will be contained. The larger the hole the less noise will be contained.

I have a French Unique brand moderator. They ONLY ever made such things for their 22 LR rifles. But the hole would easily allow a .32 size bullet and larger indeed, to pass. But it is nevertheless the correct moderator for their 22 LR or 22 WMRF calibre rimfire rifles.

Now. Remember Tweedledum and Tweedledee from "Alice"? They had a saying. "A thing means whatever I want it to mean". Or suchlike. So do be aware that whilst the hole may be bigger than 6mm I'd make sure that what THEY have on their FAC and what they are transferring to you is also marked up as a 6mm size moderator.

In law it may well be that what the moderator is proof marked to may very well be taken as to define its calibre in the eyes of an FEO. Be aware!

Account Suspended
    the bullets for target are 105 grain boat tail, this is quite a bit longer than the 70 to 85 i use for hunting, i think the best thing to do is to email my FEO and get a reply that way, if i have it in writing then thats what i will stick to, it is a bit open to "interpretation"

OK MINE SAYS R/F sound moderator 1 no interpretation needed simple

C/F sound moderator 1
    Last edited by 49ERIC; 31-12-2013 at 22:22.