Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this really the way it's going ?

Is this really the way it's going ?

Whilst at a shoot yesterday the head keeper told me a keeper mate of his got 10.5K for the deer stalking on a nearby estate of just 1200 acres that is a pheasant / partridge shoot holding fallow and munty .the keeper had complete control of when the estate would be stalked because of the game shooting .i guess that kind of money would buy an awful lot of poults/bagged food for the owners .with stalking getting ever more popular and disgruntled phezy shooters having cash to spend .I expect a syndicate will be set up on said estate of half a dozen stalkers paying a couple of grand a piece covering a few seats Ect .
    is this the sort of thing that is happening up and down the country involving this sort of cash ? Just interested and no bun fighting please chaps .
    Happy new year to you all
    regards
    norma

yes i think it is, shooting nowadays seams to be full of people with big cheque books, not a lot of idea or fieldcraft, have more land than they can manage but still want more, its called greed!,happy new year to everyone on sd,

Quote Originally Posted by Deanandrew64 View Post
    shooting nowadays seams to be full of people with big cheque books
    And it always has been but less so these days with shooting being avalible to the everyday man and not just the landed gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanandrew64 View Post
    yes i think it is, shooting nowadays seams to be full of people with big cheque books, not a lot of idea or fieldcraft, have more land than they can manage but still want more, its called greed!,happy new year to everyone on sd,
    You are having a laugh,surely.If you think shooting has only recently been full of people with big cheque books then thats very naive.

Sounds like a difficult place to stalk as no stalking on shoot days and I expect the keeper will also set no go areas to prevent disturbance in the woods where his birds are held.

I guess those who paid it must be happy with it but I think given the restrictions its too much money.

The restrictions are quite normal,know of many places where you can't stalk during the game shooting season.

However the price seems excessive know of places ten times that size that could be had for that sort of money.

I sat on the train listening to a couple of city boys complaining that their
    Xmas bonus was only 14K each this year, peanuts for some of these lads.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    The restrictions are quite normal,know of many places where you can't stalk during the game shooting season.

However the price seems excessive know of places ten times that size that could be had for that sort of money.
    On a bigger estate of say 10,000 acres plus there is always somewhere you can go even on a shoot day and especially with fallow a shoot day or after can be productive as animals disturbed redistribute but a couple of thousand acres is not a lot in my op and the amount involved excessive but if the person involved also took the gameshooting I could see the logic in taking the stalking as well !
    Norma

I think it has been a progressive situation for some years now, and as more people come into the sport, and land gets harder to find then these occurrences will become more common I think.

Many find it unacceptable, but I think its very much a sellers market and can we actually blame landowners and keepers for accepting such fees if someone is prepared to pay it?

With this in mind, its an issue that I don't think is going to go away as everything seems to have a price threshold where landowners will sell stalking rights if enough money is offered.

Regards,

Mike.

SADLY NORM,
    IT'S THE WAY ITS GONE AND GOING. I HAD MY SMALL PATCH GRABBED BY A CASH COW AND IT WAS'T NICE TO BE KICKED OUT FROM A PLACE THAT YOU AND THE OWNER WERE BOTH HAPPY IN THE FEE YOU WERE PAYING UNTIL SOME TOSSER WITH A FLASH MOTOR AND NEW BOOTS COMES ALONG WITH HIS SACK OF 50'S . SHOTS THE CRAP OUT OF IT THEN MOVES TO THE NEXT FARM