Scope eye releaf

kevin01041961

Hi, At first this seems a stupid question and i apologies if it does so here goes, eye releaf i'm having problems i dont wear glasses apart from reading , i have good glass on all my rifles but i am buying a 7mm rem mag which is quiet pokey, but the problem is getting the eye releaf right i seem to be on top of the scope and have been caught with some rifle scope combo's i shot a 300 win mag with a Ziess 3-9x50 and "BANG" scope caught me, ive shot full bore for more than 40 years and yes my eye sight is not what it was . so can anyone give me advice on a scope for stalking mainly reds that has a long eye releaf please?

:rofl:

Other ways to tame the rifle, a moderator, a muzzle brake, heavier rifle and a rifle that fits you well will make life easier,any quality scope should have adequate eye relief.

Other ways to tame the rifle, a moderator, a muzzle brake, heavier rifle and a rifle that fits you well will make life easier,any quality scope should have adequate eye relief.

Good points. A bipod will also add some weight to the set-up. Once you get your new rifle, check the Length of Pull and adjust it if necessary. Regards JCS

the problem i have always had is i'm quiet tall 6ft 8 inch and about 20 stone so shotguns and rifles have to be made to fit if you know what i mean, if the sightron has 4 inch eye releaf then i might try it, as for a mod or muzzel brake might be an idea i have the same on my 243 and 308, i just feel with even good scopes i'm on top of the lens

thanks though always great information

You won't like this but:-

It's your mounting technique that is wrong.

The 7mm Rem mag is not a beast at all and is in fact popular due to it's mild recoil, unless it's in a poorly stocked and ill fitting stock to the shooter, or it's a featherweight rifle of course. Then recoil is sharper.

May I suggest you get together with a good experienced shooter of a decent RFD/Gunsmith who does in fact shoot rifles and know what he is on about an get your set up and mounting technique looked at. Chances are the scope is too far back and or your crawling the stock.

possible i'll grant you that, but its only recently i've noticed it , my eyes are a lot weaker that they once were but this is the first time i have noticed it, as i say ive shot rifles for well over 40 yrs. what i didnt want to happen is to start to flinch as i said i shot the 300 win mag and the scope seemed very close to my eye, but is the only way i could make out a sharpe clear reticle picture and it caught me, my 308 and 243 never catch me i have a good sight picture never flinch, i will pick up the 7mm in March so was just giving myself time to get a scope to match the rifle possible 8x52 or Ziess as its for reds. i'll take your advice though and ask at my range

the problem i have always had is i'm quiet tall 6ft 8 inch and about 20 stone so shotguns and rifles have to be made to fit if you know what i mean, ..

Kevin C.

I had a lad out recently and when he put my rifle up to his shoulder, he made it look like a toy because he was a similar build to you. My LOP is 14.5 inches, and I'm guessing you could end up with a LOP of ~16 inches. I think it's important your LOP is correct for you and that all your rifles are a consistent LOP. I put 1/2 inch onto the LOP of my 243 Ackley and I found it made a big difference to my shooting. I felt much more comfortable behind the rifle.

What you will also find is that small guests will struggle to shoot your rifles and will shoot to a different POI.

Enjoy your new rifle.

Best regards

JCS

Maybe a visit to a sympathetic optician is the answer. Soft contact lenses are easy to wear, don't fog up and might put your eye back in the right place for the scope.

David.

PS. A stick on comb raiser might help as maybe you are stock crawling to get your eye higher so it is in line with the scope.

Interesting point raised about Length of Pull. I noticed that most of my period classic rifles 1890's to WW2 say is that they all have longer length of Pulls than do modern production rifles. I am not that tall being about 5' 8" but they don't appear to be over long for me. I do notice that the ZKK 601 is a tad short though.

Interesting point raised about Length of Pull. I noticed that most of my period classic rifles 1890's to WW2 say is that they all have longer length of Pulls than do modern production rifles. I am not that tall being about 5' 8" but they don't appear to be over long for me. I do notice that the ZKK 601 is a tad short though.
My .444 Marlin kicks a tad, open sights are fine, put a scope on, and it's a different beast, due to a crap cheek weld, it beats you bad, put a comb raiser on, no probs. never thought about eye relief on my sightron, so I just put it on the T4, handy having QR mounts, and yes, seems pretty generous, but I'm not keeping it there, an 8-32 on a lever action just ain't right.

Pete

I shouldn't get to hung up on it I'd be surprised if all things being similar that you will notice any difference between your .308 and the rem mag,i hope you have a 26"barrel to do it justice and that extra few inches will only help with the recoil.

Two options to consider:
1. A 'long eye relieve' scope such as the (quite forward mounted) Leopold Scout.
2. A Red Dot Sight - not very popular in the UK and dismissed by many 'traditional' stalkers, but perfectly good to achieve 2MOA at 100 yards as far as accurate shooting is concerned.

All good advice as i expected, after reading the thread about LOP i tested the 300 win mag i shot ....................... it was 13 inch no wonder it clouted me :love: my shotguns are 15 1/2 lop , so i'm going to put some spaces on the stock and put some good glass plus a sound mod on the 7mm rem mag

my thanks to you all:thumb:

Back