Thread: my food year round up

my food year round up

hi folks.... lot of folk on hear gladly give up time and pass on willingly their ideas and recipes & boy its far more fun getting em off here than reading a book....plus you can message the OP & ask more details etc!!!
    also for me...going out with gun or rod, snare or net = food for the pot, so thought a round up of my highlights of the year.
    was very lean on the deer front for me this year but when I did get one I made up for it....got a buck in may and measured it went Gold!!! delighted!
    venison burgers were made later on in the year after a disaster with freezer resulting in 3/4 of a chest freezer being binned ...was NOT happy.... so needed to stock up again

first up venison burgers and added in chorizo for 1st time.... will be doing this again they were ace

a big experience for me and I cant take credit for it..in fact 2x experiences !!!! all down to very generous mates.... ask diverdave he will destify to this guys generosity
    thanks to Duncan for his epic annual hog roast bbq!!! never had hogroast before...turned up... got given a knife and fork and told "you can butcher ...serve up!!"

amazing!!! would love to do this if I had the space for a big do!!! and sooooooo fine tasting !
    2nd experience was another friend who I took for his 1st roe... he's from Africa originally but never shot uk so got his 1st buck...he is the guy who taught me how to do biltong etc.... he threw a bbq and walked in to a whole lamb spitroast!!

the wife not keen on lamb but even she was taken with this and it was seasoned plainly with salt n pepper rub before spitroasting ...again what a feast very memorable.

drink wise at the scone game fair I found sloe whisky bought a bottle and was good... bottle didn't last long so sloes went into whisky this year as well as the usual gin & vodka!

as year went on the usual odd foray down to Montrose basin ( rude not to as I can see it from my living room window) got the pink foot breasts in :-)

and then I found Mike Robinsons wild kitchen by chance online and tried his first recipe the meatballs... don't have munty up here so roe it was and they are now a regular appearance on the menu thanks Mike !!

took up bit of sea fishing as well lately and kind gents who showing me the ropes is a fish magnet...cod by the bucket so usually barter away and get a bit o variety in the freezer so I had a PB fish 8lbs!!! was delighted to say least... and resulted in Hugh fearnleys beer batter cod with G,Ramsay twice cooked chips!... bloody brilliant! john smiths for the batter and whilst cooking/ eating of course

another drink big find was the the "vinturi red wine aerator now ... I can say after extensive tasting trials with friends one night that this works and makes a wine less vinegary and more rounded ..is only way to describe it... my mates went n bought one now!
    Vinturi: Essential Wine and Spirit Aerators - Home
    and to go with this...not cheap by my unexpert just like a glass standards is the cracking "chateau neuf de pape" red wines!!! bloody fine and can recommend! keep yer eyes open as LIDLS had em on specials!!!

oh nearly forgot ...if yer a black pudding fan & don't already know?.....go buy Charles Mcleod stornoway black pudding!!!....all ill say is mmmmmm!

well been fortunate this year in that 2x cracking bbqs ill never forget and couple new recipes I found and new wines / whisky too... couple other things along the way but don't wont to bore the sh!t out of you poor folks more than I have already, im no expert at all just know what I like and love to share with you all.

thanks for your ideas and recipes throught the year and keep em coming for 2014
    a'the best
    paul
    Last edited by sauer; 31-12-2013 at 13:40.

Food for the body and soul
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    hi folks.... lot of folk on hear gladly give up time and pass on willingly their ideas and recipes & boy its far more fun getting em off here than reading a book....plus you can message the OP & ask more details etc!!!
    also for me...going out with gun or rod, snare or net = food for the pot, so thought a round up of my highlights of the year.
    was very lean on the deer front for me this year but when I did get one I made up for it....got a buck in may and measured it went Gold!!! delighted!
    venison burgers were made later on in the year after a disaster with freezer resulting in 3/4 of a chest freezer being binned ...was NOT happy.... so needed to stock up again

first up venison burgers and added in chorizo for 1st time.... will be doing this again they were ace

a big experience for me and I cant take credit for it..in fact 2x experiences !!!! all down to very generous mates.... ask diverdave he will destify to this guys generosity
    thanks to Duncan for his epic annual hog roast bbq!!! never had hogroast before...turned up... got given a knife and fork and told "you can butcher ...serve up!!"

amazing!!! would love to do this if I had the space for a big do!!! and sooooooo fine tasting !
    2nd experience was another friend who I took for his 1st roe... he's from Africa originally but never shot uk so got his 1st buck...he is the guy who taught me how to do biltong etc.... he threw a bbq and walked in to a whole lamb spitroast!!

the wife not keen on lamb but even she was taken with this and it was seasoned plainly with salt n pepper rub before spitroasting ...again what a feast very memorable.

drink wise at the scone game fair I found sloe whisky bought a bottle and was good... bottle didn't last long so sloes went into whisky this year as well as the usual gin & vodka!

as year went on the usual odd foray down to Montrose basin ( rude not to as I can see it from my living room window) got the pink foot breasts in :-)

and then I found Mike Robinsons wild kitchen by chance online and tried his first recipe the meatballs... don't have munty up here so roe it was and they are now a regular appearance on the menu thanks Mike !!

took up bit of sea fishing as well lately and kind gents who showing me the ropes is a fish magnet...cod by the bucket so usually barter away and get a bit o variety in the freezer so I had a PB fish 8lbs!!! was delighted to say least... and resulted in Hugh fearnleys beer batter cod with G,Ramsay twice cooked chips!... bloody brilliant! john smiths for the batter and whilst cooking/ eating of course

another drink big find was the the "vinturi red wine aerator now ... I can say after extensive tasting trials with friends one night that this works and makes a wine less vinegary and more rounded ..is only way to describe it... my mates went n bought one now!
    Vinturi: Essential Wine and Spirit Aerators - Home
    and to go with this...not cheap by my unexpert just like a glass standards is the cracking "chateau neuf de pape" red wines!!! bloody fine and can recommend! keep yer eyes open as LIDLS had em on specials!!!

oh nearly forgot ...if yer a black pudding fan & don't already know?.....go buy Charles Mcleod stornoway black pudding!!!....all ill say is mmmmmm!

well been fortunate this year in that 2x cracking bbqs ill never forget and couple new recipes I found and new wines / whisky too... couple other things along the way but don't wont to bore the sh!t out of you poor folks more than I have already, im no expert at all just know what I like and love to share with you all.

thanks for your ideas and recipes throught the year and keep em coming for 2014
    a'the best
    paul

No wonder you've been ignoring me.... you've been busy !!

Venison & Chorizo burgers... Now that is something I have to try.

Great post Sauer.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

excellent read of your culinary year regards sbm