Which quad bike

I've got a Grizzly 550 with winch and snow plough, it's done everything I've asked of it and its plenty powerful enough. If I had to gripe I wish I'd chosen PAS, its hard to manoeuvre at slow speeds, not impossible, but not easy.

Nick

+1 for the Grizzly. I've had two Honda's and one Polaris. I now use a Grizzly 700 with power steering. I wouldn't dream of going back to Honda.

The Honda lacks extreme rough terrain ability due to the solid rear axle. It gets hung up etc. I go places with the Grizzly that the Honda really struggled with. The power steering makes slow speed close manoeuvring with loaded racks a doddle.

Both my Honda's were brand new (Foreman 500) and they both had niggles with electrics and starting in the damp. The Polaris was the 550 and was very capable, but was heavy. It pulled more due to the weight and had a higher rack loading than either the Honda or Grizzly. It struggled a bit in the really sticky stuff due to the weight but I preferred it to the Honda as it always started on the key. The wheels were a bit bigger than standard which made getting decent tyres a bit hard, but they are out there if you look.

ATB

We have a Honda Foreman 500, its used for work and stalking. Its been brilliant. We got it from Fieldens ATV they have a lot of used machines.
regards
Steve

I have a 2006 massey ferguson badged arctic cat 400 and have to say it is a great bike and has got me to places the shoots honda es can't. Sits nice and high as well cvt trans so always in the right gear if you do hit deep mud or a boggy bit. Bought of a mate that replaced it with the 700 diesel version as it is a wee bit thirsty

Get a 19mm chain & proper padlock from Almax or Pragmasis to secure your quad and lock it to something immovable.

can-am outlander 500, great quads, fast, sturdy, smooth off road, never had a problem, ive had Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and none compare... just my opinion, they are expensive, but well worth it... and not juicy on fuel either....

charlie

Its the type of question where everyone has their favourite. Honda's were the best but i think many other brands have caught them up and possibly honda's have went back and are not as hardy as the old big reds as they are now for a more americain market.

I run a honda with Electric shift and think its great and wouldn't run anything else BUT i would not buy a 2nd hand or older out of warranty 1, the more compicated the more to break and gnerally more to fix so i woukld stsay clear of the ES or auto model honda's

If ur only using it once a week/month for a short time a cheaper make may do u fine, my first quad was a jianshe? half price of honda, was ok but strugled with doing 50km evry day 5-6 days a week, sold it to a mate for 1K for a 1 yr old bike (took it to agri market and no one even bid on it despite it being spotless) albeit high milage, he still uses it every day 6 years on hardly missed a beat (and not looked after) but its used for shorter periods althou abused more.

would like to thank you all for the info. I will only be using it about once may be twice a week looking to spend about £3000 and all the Hondas ive seen are a wee bit more than that{don't wont to buy someone problems} I will keep looking. thanks once again

I see ur glasgow based take a drive down to Lanark auction mart, have a monthly implement sale (as other marts may have) think its a wed? will be on there website. Farmers will take quads there to sell as well as dealers with older stock.

Some will be a bit rougher (understatement when u see some of the 1's straight off the farm, usually not even washed) don't be put off by the muck, but if u stick to a manual honda esp the older 350's really were bomb proof. Ideally take a mate who knows a bit about mechanics.

U could also try phoneing Pattersons at Dalbeattie, didn't have a lot of 2nd hand bikes in last time i was there, which is unusual, but after lambing they will have loads, very very good honda mechanics

Kawasaki 360 here, had it for 5 years now without a problem (other than damage from a failed theft attempt)
The quad belongs to my fishing club, I looked long and hard at all makes before deciding on the Kawasaki, bought from a local
agricultural equipment dealer, could have also bought Honda, Polaris, Yamaha from same dealer, very happy with it.
As for servicing, it gets an oil change once a year and the air filter cleaned, tire pressure checked a couple time a year and thats it.
Never failed to start and perform flawlessly, gets used for towing a big old chipper on a trailer, with a another ½ ton trailer behind that.
Often tows ¾ ton across all sorts of soft and squidgy ground, and for pulling stumps and telegraph poles about about.

Neil. :)

Honda auto is abit like marmite some love it and some hate it. the earlier 500 manuals had twin shocks on the back latest ones have an adjustable single rear shock new version out later this year

Back