Tikka DBM for Aics mags.

The Burpster

Here I am on the brink of doing this mod for my T3 Sporter (it just screams out for an AI mag), and the more I look the more makers I find that produce a DBM for the T3 actions.

So my questions are:-

1. How many on here have done this mod?

2. Which DBM metal did you use?

3. What problems (if any) did you encounter?

4. Would you have preferred another metal or would you look at others if doing it again?

Thanks.

I've fitted a few T3 AICS bottom metals. Not much difference which bottom metal, they must all be fitted, adjusted for height and possibly bedded.
Plastic AI 223 mags need a bit of reworking as the T3 opening in the bottom of the action is too narrow.
I have only fitted the systems in our epoxy/graphite stocks, not into a T3 factory stock yet.
edi

Here I am on the brink of doing this mod for my T3 Sporter (it just screams out for an AI mag), and the more I look the more makers I find that produce a DBM for the T3 actions.

So my questions are:-

1. How many on here have done this mod?

2. Which DBM metal did you use?

3. What problems (if any) did you encounter?

4. Would you have preferred another metal or would you look at others if doing it again?

Thanks.

I did mine before Christmas, as per the thread in "gunsmithing" (I think?):

image-9.jpg

52162d3a-2882-4de0-a709-a074834022b9.jpg

I used the Third Eye Tactical Bottom metal. It's not a quick drop-in option; requires inletting. Comes with a choice of mag releases.

Service from Third Eye Tac was good.

The item itself seems well made but there was a lot of space for my 10 rnd mag. This let the front end of the mag drop enough to prevent reliable feeding, irrespective of what height the mag was positioned (which is also important.) I didn't want to rely on feed lip and ramp fiddling so I adjusted the bottom metal inletting to provide the angle required, irrespective of slop of the mag within the well. Feeds fine with mag hanging or rested.

Dummy rounds helpful for checking feeding.

The action bolts supplied are hex, instead of the factory flat-head screwdriver bolts (M6, I think.) The factory bolts actually sit better in the recesses of the bottom metal so I used them. You must watch out that these bolts are not too long or you'll have problems with the bolt, of course.

I bedded the bottom metal, though this is arguably not necessary in every case.

The TET item seems expensive compared to the US options but less so once Tax and shipping are factored in. I also looked at the Swedish one (forget the name, might be another Scandinavian country.)

I'm happy with mine.

Just as a quick update (and thanks for the bits above guys, that laminate stock looks really sweet Xavierdoc!) as my T3 is 6.5x55 this narrows down my options a bit as I either have to use the .308 mag and only load short rounds.... (Hmmmmm not keen on that idea) or use the CDI long action DBM and use AI .300WM mags.

Not a cheap option by any means but I do think dogs danglies will be involved.......!

Just as a quick update (and thanks for the bits above guys, that laminate stock looks really sweet Xavierdoc!) as my T3 is 6.5x55 this narrows down my options a bit as I either have to use the .308 mag and only load short rounds.... (Hmmmmm not keen on that idea) or use the CDI long action DBM and use AI .300WM mags.

Not a cheap option by any means but I do think dogs danglies will be involved.......!

Well check first that the .308 mag will limit your OAL, I am not sure what can be fitted in them. Also the CDI long action with .300WM mags is likely for the Rem 700 long action, not sure if that is available for the Tikka.

Well check first that the .308 mag will limit your OAL, I am not sure what can be fitted in them. Also the CDI long action with .300WM mags is likely for the Rem 700 long action, not sure if that is available for the Tikka.

I have checked those hits of info and hence the post above. You can get a 6.5x55 in the AI 308 mag but VERY limited OAL so I won't be doing that.

CDI do produce the LA Tikka DBM and it is commercially available.... (Although it does seem to be the only long action DBM for the Tikka at this time!).

Back