Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Auld Lang Syne

For Auld Lang Syne

After a day of low cloud and heavy driving rain, the temperature has dropped and stars are twinkling in a clear sky, and it will be no surprise if there is a touch of frost before dawn.

A minute or so before midnight finds the stalker standing outside his door watching the seconds tick by, just as the year slips away he fires a shot followed by another a heartbeat
    later, away in the distance on this still night he hears an answering shot, his heart is gladdened
    by the fact that someone else is keeping this tradition alive.

He can remember as a boy his father carrying out the same ritual, one shot to see the old year out and one to see the new in.

This was a common ritual in the countryside at one time, but like many traditions it is dieing
    out.

In the present climate firing shots at midnight especially if you have less than understanding neighbours is unlikely to result in a happy new year.

He stands for long minutes with these thoughts running through his mind, so deep in thought is he that the skirl of a vixen in heat on the far side of the loch barely registers.

Eventually he enters the house, pours himself a dram, and a glass of wine for his wife.
    They wish each other a happy new year before she takes herself off to bed, for she has never been much of a drinker, and besides she will be busy later as no doubt there will be visits from family and friends on new years day.

After she has gone the stalker sits by the fire with his dram deep in thought, for new year is a time for reflection as well as celebration, thoughts of the past, thoughts of what the future
    may bring.

Thoughts of those who have gone ahead and reached the end of the stalkers path, to them he lifts his glass and proposes a silent toast to Auld Lang Syne.

For a long time he sits by the fire nursing his dram, eventually shaking of this melancholy
    mood he gets his coat and his bottle and heads off to first foot his neighbour, he knows
    there will be a ceilidh there, a good crowd and no doubt some stalkers both recreational
    and professional, there will be plenty stories and much hilarity only ending at dawn or maybe not even then.

A Guid New Year Tae Ane An Aa
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 01-01-2014 at 11:25. Reason: spelling p****d whenI wrote it

Excellent. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d-cheers.gif 
Views:	215 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	36297

Greta, Happy New Year to you!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

BT

Its truly amazing the things you come up with whilst laying flat out on your neighbours lawn at half midnight waiting for a wheelbarrow....

May the best of the last be the worst of the next year for you
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

There were fireworks popping roundabout then in the distance I heard a shotgun go off, so I gave him a reply , he did the same and then I got off my second barrel. It used to be a regular feature but has been fading, last year it was just me. Anyway it was off to bed shortly thereafter, no first footing for me I had tried it earlier in the day when I got my feet in a fankle and took a header and smashed my face on a radiator. Luckily there was no damage to the radiator and my face will soon heal .

I should like to point out there was no drink involved in the incident!!

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    After a day of low cloud and heavy driving rain, the temperature has dropped and stars are twinkling in a clear sky, and it will be no surprise if there is a touch of frost before dawn.

A minute or so before midnight finds the stalker standing outside his door watching the seconds tick by, just as the year slips away he fires a shot followed by another a heartbeat
    later, away in the distance on this still night he hears an answering shot, his heart is gladdened

He can remember as a boy his father carrying out the same ritual, one shot to see the old year out and one to see the new in.

This was a common ritual in the countryside at one time, but like many traditions it is dieing
    out.

In the present climate firing shots at midnight especially if you have less than understanding neighbours is unlikely to result in a happy new year.

He stands for long minutes with these thoughts running through his mind, so deep in thought is he that the skirl of a vixen in heat on the far side of the loch barely registers.

Eventually he enters the house, pours himself a dram, and a glass of wine for his wife.
    They wish each other a happy new year before she takes herself off to bed, for she has never been much of a drinker, and besides she will be busy later as no doubt there will be visits from family and friends on new years day.

After she has gone the stalker sits by the fire with his dram deep in thought, for new year is a time for reflection as well as celebration, thoughts of the past, thoughts of what the future
    may bring.

Thoughts of those who have gone ahead and reached the end of the stalkers path, to them he lifts his glass and proposes a silent toast to Auld Lang Syne.

For a long time he sits by the fire nursing his dram, eventually shaking of this melancholy
    mood he gets his coat and his bottle and heads off to first foot his neighbour, he knows
    there will be a ceilidh there, a good crowd and no doubt some stalkers both recreational
    and professional, there will be plenty stories and much hilarity only ending at dawn or maybe not even then.

There are a handful of people on this site I would like to meet for a chat and hear about their experiances . . .your one of them

Happy New Year !!!

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post

out.

may bring.

What a great piece Boggy. Too many traditions being lost. Keep it going I'm so envious and would so much liked to of returned a shot back. Happy New Year & SLANGE VAR. Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by R700ROE View Post
    Excellent. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d-cheers.gif 
Views:	215 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	36297
    +1 All the best for 2014!