Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounted stag head.

Mounted stag head.

I have a small 8 point stags head.

The label simply says:

Rosehall
    D.R.G.

Anyone have any idea where Rosehall is or who/what D.R.G. is?

Rosehall Estate near Lairg, Sutherland - at the time owned by the Graesser family so odds are that is your G.

Its a lovely spot famous for where the then owner the 2nd Duke of Westminster carried out his affair with Coco Chanel of the fashion house.

Nice little piece of history there any pics ?
    Norma

I was up on Glenrossal Estate in 2006 fishing on the Cassley. Rosehall is just down the river from where we were. The Graesser family went on to design improvements for salmon rivers to assist returning migratory fish and spawning grounds for them

The whole of this area is heavily populated with red and sika deer. From a recent conversation I had with a member on here I believe the sika population across much of the Sutherland area may have originated from Rosehall.

When end I was there we couldn't believe how many were about at all times of the day and I saw what I believe was a red/sika hybrid from 30 yards away. Very red body, with that distinctive frown to the brow and a sika stags head. When it turned we saw the glands on the rear lower legs.

The people I fished with on the Cassley near there follow a German family in the lodge every year, their name was not dissimilar I think, I'll ask. The lodge at Rosehall is semi ruined, not sure who owns it now but an internetnsearch brought up a story about plans to turn it into a hotel.

Rosehall is a small village between the R Oykel & the R Cassley as already mentioned. It's on the A837. The Invercassley Estate is nearby also the Duchally Estate...when I last was stalking there, it was owned by AlFayad ex of Harrods...still owns Balnagown estates I think, incorporating both the above estates. Again as mentioned, loads of reds & sika around the area. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I was up on Glenrossal Estate in 2006 fishing on the Cassley. Rosehall is just down the river from where we were. The Graesser family went on to design improvements for salmon rivers to assist returning migratory fish and spawning grounds for them

The whole of this area is heavily populated with red and sika deer. From a recent conversation I had with a member on here I believe the sika population across much of the Sutherland area may have originated from Rosehall.

When end I was there we couldn't believe how many were about at all times of the day and I saw what I believe was a red/sika hybrid from 30 yards away. Very red body, with that distinctive frown to the brow and a sika stags head. When it turned we saw the glands on the rear lower legs.
    I forgot that about the old deer park at Rosehall Brian but was told the same, aye. The land east of the Cassley above Rosehall is now all FC I think.

Stalked all the area for many years. Stewart Urrey owned Glencassley estate and the other side is Invercassley which I believe was owned by the Longston family. Further on from that leading up to the Achness hotel was owned by a man called Green and amounted to about 2000 acres, but they owned a beat on the Cassley. David Perry was the keeper on this area and I often rented the cottages on the estate. David Perry moved to Glen Lyon some years back.

All of the Sika in this area originate from Rosehall area as there was a deer farm there during the first war, which was situated on Hugo Gressers estate. which is now in trust I think

Martin Kennedy is still the stalker on there to my knowledge, although it is only a few hundred acres. The other side of the Cassley is owned by Mr Alfied who bought it some years back. He also owns the far end of the glen, called Duchley.

I stalked all that area for some 10 years, and pass by there every so often whilst on my own lease nearby. Good area for Jap Sika and also good quality Red Stag as well. The main forest on Glencassley had a road put through it by the family just to extract the deer, and a deer lawn was also created.

Shot a first year hybrid red/sika with an American client on Glencassley and apart from another taken near Rogart that's the only first year hybrids I have ever seen and shot.
    Last edited by sikamalc; 01-01-2014 at 15:13.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I was with the Longsdon's Malc when I was up there once but; aye they sold the estate in the 90s. Colonel Longsdon inherited the Glencassley estate from his father in-law David Lloyd of David Lloyd Riflemakers, old Mr Lloyd shot over 5,000 stags to his own (literally) rifle. I gather David Lloyd rifles are first class and quite sought after.

If you like stalking and salmon fishing it has to be one of the finest spots in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    I was with the Longsdon's Malc when I was up there once but; aye they sold the estate in the 90s. Colonel Longsdon inherited the Glencassley estate from his father in-law David Lloyd of David Lloyd Riflemakers, old Mr Lloyd shot over 5,000 stags to his own (literally) rifle. I gather David Lloyd rifles are first class and quite sought after.

If you like stalking and salmon fishing it has to be one of the finest spots in the world.
    I saw the old boy a few times. The keeper/crofter on the opposite estate used to take him up the glen and shoot the odd stag off the bonnet of the car as the old chap was well into his late years and couldn't walk very well. The castle or lodge was needing a bit of work to bring it up to scratch, and I used their larder a couple of times.

The larder was a death trap, made out of sheet tin with a sloping floor painted with grey paint and a chain hanging in the middle. It was like skid pan alley when it froze and as I say I only used it on a couple of occasions.

I believe a French or Belgium gentleman bought the estate, but I spent probably every stag season for about 7 years in that glen, with clients or sometimes just with friends on hinds.

I also attended the Achness on several occasions and the odd impromptu party in the local area of Rosehall.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.