Thread: Forum/website value.

Forum/website value.

Are websites like the one i set up www.1245.forumotion.net worth anything?
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Probably not in its current format as all the content is on a free service owned by forumotion.net so you couldn't really 'sell' it as such. It would be kind of like selling a hotmail account.

If you transferred all of the content (assuming it's all your intellectual property) to a site over which you had complete ownership including the domain name then there would certainly be some value attached to it... moreso if you had a decent membership which went with it too in the case of a forum. As it's more of a single author type situation you'd probably be better off structuring it as a Blog rather than as a forum because the information you are publishing is more article orientated rather than discussion orientated.

Alex

yea blog it.
    Wordpress is so easy and far more search engine friendly.
    That would hopefully drive more traffic wich in turn could generate income from advterising.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Probably not in its current format as all the content is on a free service owned by forumotion.net so you couldn't really 'sell' it as such. It would be kind of like selling a hotmail account.

If you transferred all of the content (assuming it's all your intellectual property) to a site over which you had complete ownership including the domain name then there would certainly be some value attached to it... moreso if you had a decent membership which went with it too in the case of a forum. As it's more of a single author type situation you'd probably be better off structuring it as a Blog rather than as a forum because the information you are publishing is more article orientated rather than discussion orientated.

Alex
    A very informative reply. Thank you Alex.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Can the site be transferred to a blog or would i have to start all over again?

If you are able to get at the data backend (e.g. mysql backup) there may be a phpbb to wordpress type converter out there, or you could commission a coder to write one.... otherwise it would probably be a copy paste job one by one!

If you are able to get at the data backend (e.g. mysql backup) there may be a phpbb to wordpress type converter out there, or you could commission a coder to write one.... otherwise it would probably be a copy paste job one by one!
    You lost me at `data backend` but thanks for your input Alex.

If you transferred all of the content (assuming it's all your intellectual property) to a site over which you had complete ownership including the domain name then there would certainly be some value attached to it... moreso if you had a decent membership which went with it too in the case of a forum. Alex
    Out of interest, , what do you think the SD might be worth if you were to consider selling it?
    MS

Good question... Facebook and Google are practically biting our arms off for a piece of the UK deer stalking market