Mold on my wooden stocks

Adam204

Hi, I don't post often on here but log in from time to time to see who and what is about. But I am hoping to get some advice from here on the problem with mold on the wooden stocked guns I have. I have recently moved to my girlfriends house and installed my cabinets under the stairs as she wouldn't allow a dedicated gun room!!:eek: The understairs area is cool/cold but does not show signs of damp. The house is an old stone house and does have a damp issue elsewhere, namely the rooms upstairs. I have got the Napier corrosion inhibitor sachets in the cabinets. So, can anyone offer advice on treating and or remedying this problem?
Thanks in advance,
A

You could try using a reptile heat mat to maintain constant temperature in the cabinet? I also keep any of the silicone sachets that come in packaging and stick them in the bottom of the cabinet too......

I have a small computer fan in my cabinet to move air around permanently running. May also try the reptile heat mat idea as damp is also a problem for my cabinets location.

There will be damp present if it's an old stone house, always will be. You need to keep the air circulating and flowing and kill off the mold. Hydrogen Peroxide works great as does Vinegar and baking soda also good. killing the spores is the key to preventing the mold returning.

There will be damp present if it's an old stone house, always will be. You need to keep the air circulating and flowing and kill off the mold. Hydrogen Peroxide works great as does Vinegar and baking soda also good. killing the spores is the key to preventing the mold returning.

Do I bathe the stocks with a solution of vinegar and baking soda? Do you have a mix ratio? And will the stocks need re oiling after?
Thanks

Do I bathe the stocks with a solution of vinegar and baking soda? Do you have a mix ratio? And will the stocks need re oiling after?
Thanks

No ratio I'm afraid, might find something on the net. I would oil the stock after but I'd leave it in the same environment it sits in to dry.

a 40 watt tube heater also works well, i used to have one in the garage cabinet many years ago but thats gone. worked a treat and never ever seen any condensation etc.

bob.

...I have to agree with the above, don't know about the peroxide or vinegar bit but air circulation Is the answer to the majority of damp / mould problems... May be time fit some 'stadium black hole vents'

remove your safe from wall then add insulated board under and behind the safe re-bolt it add a bar heater inside the safe and drill small vent holes in the top/bottom to allow the safe to vent, i have a 12v heater fan in mine and as above with no more damp probs.

remove your safe from wall then add insulated board under and behind the safe re-bolt it add a bar heater inside the safe and drill small vent holes in the top/bottom to allow the safe to vent, i have a 12v heater fan in mine and as above with no more damp probs.

What he said ^

Back