Trying to Lighten the Load

Uncle Norm

I have a Sako 75 .243 walnut/blued. It is fitted with a T4 moderator and a Swaro 6-18x50 scope.
Owing to arthritis, I would like to lighten the set-up but avoid the expense of changing the rifle.

The rifle fires a maximum of 200 rounds per year and probably nearer 150 as it is used almost exclusively for deer stalking. It is never used for target work other than to check zero.

I saw that Philwilk has advertised a synthetic stock and wonder whether that would reduce the weight as the Sako site shows the 75 Hunter as 7lbs 4ozs, whilst the 75 Stainless synthetic is 6lbs 10ozs ?

The Swaro weighs 20ozs and I was looking at the Swaro Z3 3-9x36 that weighs 12 ozs.

I have also been looking at the A-Tech CMM4 and Maxim at 7.75ozs and 13ozs respectively. I have taken note of some of our members having problems with the moderators that can be dismantled, however at my rate of fire it would take five years before they were due for a clean (1,000 rounds recommended).

If you have a Swaro Z3 3-9x36 I would value your comments on first and last light, woodland stalking with it.
If you have a CMM 4 on a .243 or larger rifle, I would appreciate knowing your experience of it.

Last edited:
You can make very worthwhile reductions without buying a new stock.

Cut the barrel back to 20 or 21", fit a Roedale delta or other super light mod. I have the Roedale on my 260, this is the single biggest improvement you can make while retaining a Mod.

Replace the the scope with a much lighter one, Swarovski Z3 or older AV, 42mm lens maximum.

This will transform your rifle.

Last edited:
get the stock straight away as it will lighten the rifle and feel nicer. I changed from a t8 to an A-tec maxim on my 270 and while the atec is a tad louder.. the weight difference more than makes up for it. Scopewise...... not sure i'd bother changing to be honest, you'll notice enough difference if you change the stock and mod.

regards

steve

3-9x32 Swaro ?
I have the 3-9x36 and love it, not used for stalking but is on my 22 Hornet which is used for rabbits and fox.
Works great in any light, or under a lamp, but my favourite method is shooting under the moon, and for that
with mag set at 5 to 7 times is is very good, it replaces an older Swaro 6x42, and is at least as good, if not
better than the fixed power was.
If weight is an issue then the lightest moderator is ear plugs.

Neil. :)

3-9x32 Swaro ?
I have the 3-9x36 and love it, not used for stalking but is on my 22 Hornet which is used for rabbits and fox.
Works great in any light, or under a lamp, but my favourite method is shooting under the moon, and for that
with mag set at 5 to 7 times is is very good, it replaces an older Swaro 6x42, and is at least as good, if not
better than the fixed power was.
If weight is an issue then the lightest moderator is ear plugs.

Thanks Neil, helpful as ever. I got the scope size wrong, it should have been the Z3 3-9x36 so thanks for putting me right.
I like the comment regarding the earplugs but I don't know what Ruby (Lab bitch) would think to hers. Being a female creature she would probably 'never speak to me again' :rolleyes:.

You just can't beat SD members. I have just had a helpful reply to my PM to Philwilk. Phil has kindly weighed the synthetic stock which weighs 1.2Kgs. So tomorrow I hope to weigh a walnut one. Unless of course someone else already knows what one weighs ?

I have a ccm4 on my 7mm08 I find it very light, properly better mods out there for sound also add a fair bit to the length of the barrel going to order a hardy for my .243 Ackley so will see how I get on but will be a lot shorter than the ccm4 for not a lot more weight hopefully should be the best of both.

Atb Matt

hardy gen 4 for the mod might be worth a look...

I have a ccm4 on my 7mm08 I find it very light, properly better mods out there for sound also add a fair bit to the length of the barrel going to order a hardy for my .243 Ackley so will see how I get on but will be a lot shorter than the ccm4 for not a lot more weight hopefully should be the best of both.

Atb Matt
Just had a look at the Hardy Gen 4 on the Riflecraft website. I must say that it looks like a very good option.

Thanks Neil, helpful as ever. I got the scope size wrong, it should have been the Z3 3-9x36 so thanks for putting me right.
I like the comment regarding the earplugs but I don't know what Ruby (Lab bitch) would think to hers. Being a female creature she would probably 'never speak to me again' :rolleyes:.

Can't keep everyone happy all the time :lol:
I used a Pess Mini-T on my short lived .243, less than 400 grams, 32mm diameter, 100mm in front of muzzle, 106mm behind.
Not the quietest mod I suppose, but good enough to shoot without hearing protection, even on a plinking session.
Pess full stainless steel and not strippable, gets my vote, and although the .243 has gone it remains on my 22 Hornet.

what thread do you have on your barrel your welcome to try my ccm4 if the threads right haven't got the hardy yet.

Atb Matt
Thank you for that kind offer Matt, the thread in M14x1. I won't need to take you up on it though as I have visited a good friend today who is an RFD and he has Hardy Gen 4, A-Tech Maxim and CMM 4 in stock so I have been able to have a good look at them all. Problem now is I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure :confused:.

Recently changed an Atec Maxim (5 baffle, 410 grams) for a Hardy Gen 4 (290 grams). The rifle feels a bit lighter and better balanced now although the Hardy is louder (.308). Also use a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42, really nice scope and not too heavy (20 grams more than the 3-9x36). It is hard to keep weight down these days with all the extras stuck on.

i couldn't belive how light the gen 4 was when i actually picked one up! it's also hard to belive how much difference a 100grams or so will make once on the end of the barrel..
it works well too! really impressed with it!

I have a CMM4 and a Hardy, both good but the Hardy wins as the overall length is far less, also being over barrel if you knock it the pressure is not all forced on the last 15mm of thread on the barrel

Thank you for that kind offer Matt, the thread in M14x1. I won't need to take you up on it though as I have visited a good friend today who is an RFD and he has Hardy Gen 4, A-Tech Maxim and CMM 4 in stock so I have been able to have a good look at them all. Problem now is I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure :confused:.

Same thread as mine 14 x 1, if you change your mind the offers still here. I reckon if the gen 4 was around when I got the ccm4 I would have gone for that to keep the length down.

Atb Matt

Back