Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are CZ mags so ****e.

Why are CZ mags so ****e.

Been messing about with my new Hornet for quite a while, trying to get it to feed from the mag, and failing miserably. That was with the shortest of COL but to no avail. In the end modified the mag so I could shoot single shots. The mag does not lend itself to having a round laid on the top for a single fed round.
    Any way, thought I would treat myself for Xmas, buy a new mag, and go back to shooting round nose shorties. These do not feed from the new mag. Back to square one and 50 light.
    What a load of crap and not fit for purpose.

I've got three 527 Hornet magazines and all feed exactly as they are supposed to! Where's it hanging up??~Muir

I seem to remember the old hornet would chamber rounds fast but did not like the slow and quiet approach. You could take all the time in the world to lift and lower the bolt but drawing it back and pushing it forward had to be quite brisk this kept it problem free.

It's controlled round feed. Even a single round needs to be in the magazine, doesn't it?

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    It's controlled round feed. Even a single round needs to be in the magazine, doesn't it?

David.
    Well mine feeds ok as a single shot, as did a .222 and a .223, but the 7.62 didn't, not until a 'slight' adjustment to the extractor.
    I have seen a few 527's that had feed issues as described by the OP.
    All had one thing in common, the bottom metal was not mated with the actions properly.
    It is very easy to get it wrong when putting the action back in the stock.

The giveaway is rounds either not being picked up at all by the bolt, or once picked up they then flip up and
    jam the bolt.
    If this is a one off, and is properly assembled, then in what way is the round failing to feed ?

Neil.

Other thing to look for is if the nose of the follower is hanging up on the inside of the mag so the round isn't held flush along its entire length. This will cause a bobble.

ATB,

Scrummy

David.
    That's the way that they were designed to work.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

David.
    Spot on kalahari, i wonder sometimes if users understand the principles of controlled round feeding in a mini mauser action.
    As the bolt starts to strip the round from the mag the rim is captured by the extractor claw and held against the bolt face as it exits the mag and is guided into the chamber.
    Handfeeding a round partially into the chamber and then closing the bolt onto it causes the extractor claw to ride over the rim of the case.
    Not only will this **** up the rim of your brass it will eventually lead to damage of the extractor claw.

Ian.

I seem to recall some 527's needed the bevel on the extractor to be stoned to aid in single shot loading and allowing the extractor to more easily ride over the case rim...

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    I seem to recall some 527's needed the bevel on the extractor to be stoned to aid in single shot loading and allowing the extractor to more easily ride over the case rim...
    With all due respect Marine the extractor is not meant to ride over the rim under any circumstances

Ian.