Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dispatching Deer on a Driven Day

Dispatching Deer on a Driven Day

On the 31st December I was lucky enough to be invited on a small high bird day in Dorset by a friend at university. Being the first time I had shot at high birds (I can hardly say I get the chance at home in Suffolk), I began what was to be by and large a successful day after shooting some of the best birds I had been presented with.

However, around half way through the day I heard what only could be described as screams coming from further behind as where the beaters were pushing through a piece of woodland. It turned out to be a young roe doe, which had been cornered and injured by one of the dogs working that day. The deer was pursued by the dog literally across the guns, despite some of our best efforts to stop what was going on. As the drive ended, myself and a few of the guns went to the last place we saw the two disappearing to. We found the dog, who had been caught by a gun and the deer was around 40 yards into a thick piece of brush, obvious seriously wounded and in shock.

After consulting the host, I said that I would go and dispatch the deer, as many of the guns stood about rather aimlessly while the injured animal continued to suffer. It was not something I particularly want to do again, but a single close shot killed it instantly.

I was just wondering if any other users had been involved in, or witnessed a similar thing happen on a driven shoot? I certainly never imagined it happening, but I knew we were in an area heavily populated in deer. I was equally amazed that there was little control of the dog by the person concerned.
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Having spent many years working with dogs, I have indeed witnessed a dog do something it should not have.
    I do not think the incident you have described is unheard of.

What concerns me is that you found the offending dog which had "been caught by a gun" Do you mean shot.

Caught by a gun, meaning one of the guns shooting, managed to get a hold of the dog by the collar.

Sorry, perhaps a poor choice of words.
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg43 View Post
    Caught by a gun, meaning one of the guns shooting, managed to get a hold of the dog by the collar.

Sorry, perhaps a poor choice of words.
    It was clear what you meant to me.

Me too Charles i knew what you meant ,I have witnessed munty fawns being snaffled up by a beaters dog but never anything bigger well done for ending the suffering chap
    doug

No action taken against the owner of the dog? The dog should have been literally caught by a gun and the owner paying for the deer and have to keep the dog on a leash if it wasn't shot to begin with.... Not much fixing after they get the taste of blood.....

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    ... dog on a leash if it wasn't shot to begin with...
    That would be illegal under the laws of this fair land.

I've twice now seen deer killed by dogs. The first dog was a very well trained, obedient, field trial dog with wins under her collar.

A dog covering ground, the sound of the shots, the noise of the birds can get the dogs all very excited. A bolting deer would be so alluring that if the dog started to chase that the animals instincts can very easily kick out training and turn the dog deaf! These things happen, even the best dogs can act out of character occasionally.

What breed was it anyway?

Dogs will be dogs and beating dogs are supposed to chase things to make them take flight, so it's easy to make such a mistake . A roe in good health would normally easily out run the usual spaniel or Labrador beating dog and any I've seen have always made a clean getaway, but obviously they can be cornered.

I'm sure I read somewhere of a deer that was flushed and had an arrow sticking out of it. The keeper shouted to the guns to shoot it, to some consternation initially but eventually someone got the idea and brought it down.

a lot of dogs may never have come across a deer until it pops up under their nose disorientated in a drive it maybe a young inexperienced dog too , i have seen dogs of all shapes sizes and breeds come unstuck when something like that happens
    as the lad replied when asked how to stop his spaniel chasing hares 'shoot the abcxyz hare of course'
    a barony original

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    That would be illegal under the laws of this fair land.

I've twice now seen deer killed by dogs. The first dog was a very well trained, obedient, field trial dog with wins under her collar.

A dog covering ground, the sound of the shots, the noise of the birds can get the dogs all very excited. A bolting deer would be so alluring that if the dog started to chase that the animals instincts can very easily kick out training and turn the dog deaf! These things happen, even the best dogs can act out of character occasionally.

What breed was it anyway?
    It was prolly a Lab...... I could see that happening with them... Can't chew chewing gum and walk at the same time so I guess it'd be pretty easy for them to have a common sense breakdown....

Just kidding..... Regardless of the wins, if a dog only obeys when it wants to, it's not safe to have around a situation where it has to think about more than just trotting along at the end of a leash and gettin scratched on the ear....