Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tranquiliser Dart Guns -whats the law ?

Tranquiliser Dart Guns -whats the law ?

Tranquiliser Dart Guns.

How are these viewed by firearms admin ? are they sect 1 ? where would you get training for drug use ? I guess you would buy the tranquiliser drugs from a vet ? In the last year I witnessed a couple of occasions where darting would have been a viable option and potentially lucrative.

Regards

They are Section 5 not Section 1. What scenarios do you envisage using one for?

I think these might be section 5.... a friend of mine had to jump through hoops to get more than five darts as well - I guess they thought he might go mad with the immobilon or something.

Section 5 but held on a section 1 FAC.

Provide good reason and they will be granted.

The difficulty is getting the drugs. You need a vet to prescribe them who trusts you 100% because the vet bears some responsibility if you mess up and kill someone or yourself. For the vet to prescribe drugs the animals need to be under the vets' care - easy for zoos etc but very difficult in the case of wildlife. Personally It's not something I'd be happy giving out to people.

We then open a huge can of worms where you can't just dart a deer, release it from a fence then slap it on the arse and let it go. All the drugs have some form of withdrawal period and in some cases the carcase may never enter the human food chain.

What sort of situations would you have felt they would be useful?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by LJT View Post
    They are Section 5 not Section 1. What scenarios do you envisage using one for?
    PC removal/capture of larger mammals , ie deer and horses , with the majority of the public being anti shooting/killing animals I thought this may be seen as an acceptable way of capturing / relocating them ,possibly removal of "town" foxes as many potential "townie" customers would never pay you to kill a fox but would in my opinion pay good money to have them relocated (to where is another story).

There is no way you can dart in a domestic environment - ever. A loaded dart is more dangerous than a bullet.

Once darted the animal is either kept in captivity or killed.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    There is no way you can dart in a domestic environment - ever. A loaded dart is more dangerous than a bullet.

Once darted the animal is either kept in captivity or killed.
    I know what I`d rather be shot with a 300m.

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    I know what I`d rather be shot with a 300m.
    I also know I'd rather a kid found a bullet that had been discharged from a gun rather than a loaded, pressurised dart containing enough drug to kill them.

Making sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    PC removal/capture of larger mammals , ie deer and horses , with the majority of the public being anti shooting/killing animals I thought this may be seen as an acceptable way of capturing / relocating them ,possibly removal of "town" foxes as many potential "townie" customers would never pay you to kill a fox but would in my opinion pay good money to have them relocated (to where is another story).
    If, based on you existing shooting and animal welfare experience, you have been approached and received unsolicited requests to carry out this sort of work on the individual species you mention and can evidence this then it wouldn't harm to run it past your FEO prior to submitting an application.

In the absence of the above however, I wouldn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I also know I'd rather a kid found a bullet that had been discharged from a gun rather than a loaded, pressurised dart containing enough drug to kill them.

Making sense?
    I know what you mean but leaving darts lying around would be as irresponsible as leaving your rifle in the back of your open pick up , I know they can come out of animals and that would mean a search until it was found, from what Ive read transmitter darts are available.