Thread: Any Quad mechanics or auto electricians ?

Any Quad mechanics or auto electricians ?

Hi and firstly I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year. Now to the problem . I put in the ignition key turned it to live, all the lights lit up and I pressed the button. There was an electrical sounding crack, and all the lights died and now there is nothing. Checked fuses etc but there is nothing at all that is obvious. Any ideas gentlemen ?

Have you checked the voltage in the battery? put a multimeter on it read the voltage then press the starter button and see what it drops to.
    Small motorcycle batteries can drop a cell espessially in winter
    ATB Al

Will it run using the kick/pull start?

Quote Originally Posted by macberran View Post
    Hi and firstly I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year. Now to the problem . I put in the ignition key turned it to live, all the lights lit up and I pressed the button. There was an electrical sounding crack, and all the lights died and now there is nothing. Checked fuses etc but there is nothing at all that is obvious. Any ideas gentlemen ?
    Try charging the battery

It sounds though you have a wire that has rubbed against the frame and shorted and now is not connected as is it will be in two pieces hence no power.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Its a 2004 grizzly 660. There is no response from key or pull start. Battery is 9mnths old, it 'cracked off' on the ignition button push, nothing gradual, immediate shut down like on a mains board. Thanks guys btw.

Hi i expect it to be a short on a wire more than likley on back of ignition happened to me where loom bundle was rubbing when i was steering and eventually went through direct live feed, or other possibility is live feed from coil pack, check all areas of potential wear.

It sounds like the positive from the battery which feeds the starter solenoid, and then feeds the starter motor is / has shorted out against the chassis. This would have zapped your main 30 amp fuse which is housed on the starter solenoid. Before you replace the fuse check the wiring down to the starter motor first. If your feeling brave you can put a split pin/ paper clip in the fuse holder turn the ignition on and watch where the smoke comes from !!!!! I will not be held liable for any fire that may follow, but Ive been around a bit and it is the fastest way to find a short in the wiring loom.....