.270 what rifle would you have..???

exmarksman9870

Hello,, im thinking of getting a .270, i would like to ask what your thoughts are on a parker hale super safari , cz , brno etc. Mauser would be my dream choice but as funds are low and you can pick up a cheap alternative this what im after....
any information would be most appreciative..
cheers

Last edited:
save up a bit, get a tikka t3 sporter, 20 inch barrel, you can get one for about 750, look after it and it will last you for years, rather than buying a cheap option then regretting it and buying again, just my thoughts, good luck with the search

Good thinking - .270's are a lot of fun! I am currently on my third so am something of a fan... lowish funds don't have to be a problem, my current rifle is a Sako AV circa 1989/90 - I paid £375 with 57 rounds of homeloads last summer - these loads have grouped .5" at 100 yards (3 rounds). Previously I had a Remington 700 which was £250, a good rifle but the stock trigger isn't in the same class as the Sako. I can't comment on parker hale or the others you mention but for my money it would be hard to do better than an old (well cared for) Sako!

save up a bit, get a tikka t3 sporter, 20 inch barrel, you can get one for about 750, look after it and it will last you for years, rather than buying a cheap option then regretting it and buying again, just my thoughts, good luck with the search

Ive been using a stainless synthetic t3 lite .270 for 8 years, it's had 1000's of rounds through it still clover leaves, looks like a tool, works like a tool, and to date has never let me down (i've let it down but never the other way round). does need a moderator to get the best from it.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Sako_Rifle_Finbear_For-Sale_131028133210234

For my money I would take this over any modern offering at this kind of price. It's a private sale so would likely be open to negotiation. I noticed it the other day when flicking through the adverts.

The first rifle I started off with was this very model and chambering. The quality of build is outstanding as are the materials used. Ignore the age of the rifle. That is testament to the build quality.

My PC is ultra slow tonight so cannot see the pictures on the add but from memory i don't think it was even threaded for a mod???

It would be good if you were interested to get the bore checked but if the seller is honest with the round count and how it's been stored and looked after, I would find out more about this rifle. I actually own an old model Sako 243 from the same era and it's one of the most accurate rifles I have shot with factory ammo. They really were well made in those days.

xmarksman9870 parkerhale all the way mine cost me 40 quid i can clover leaf with it at 100-150 yards easily, a lot of people give the old parkerhales a hard time fair enough there not the best looking rifle but they certainly do the job and a good job at that, also if you happen to get it wet or a little scratch on it it wont make you cry :lol:

also i was informed the other day that its parkerhale that actually makes all the barrels for your top market rifles :cool:

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Sako_Rifle_Finbear_For-Sale_131028133210234

For my money I would take this over any modern offering at this kind of price. It's a private sale so would likely be open to negotiation. I noticed it the other day when flicking through the adverts.

The first rifle I started off with was this very model and chambering. The quality of build is outstanding as are the materials used. Ignore the age of the rifle. That is testament to the build quality.

My PC is ultra slow tonight so cannot see the pictures on the add but from memory i don't think it was even threaded for a mod???

It would be good if you were interested to get the bore checked but if the seller is honest with the round count and how it's been stored and looked after, I would find out more about this rifle. I actually own an old model Sako 243 from the same era and it's one of the most accurate rifles I have shot with factory ammo. They really were well made in those days.

I totally agree - this is the same as my rifle bar mine being left handed, screwcut, and with optilocks - forgot to mention that it also likes Norma 130grain4 round group 25 10 13.jpg (4 round group at 100 yards)

I bought a BSA 1st pattern Monarch from my local dealer while he was sorting out my 6.5 I gave him £150 clamped on a S&B 6 x 42 for £200, with home loads it shoots 1/2inch groups. It is now in the gun cabinet of Miffy on here I gave it to him, anyone who has seen him shoot will be impressed so it went to a good home. So you can buy good rifles very cheaply.

Good thinking - .270's are a lot of fun! I am currently on my third so am something of a fan... lowish funds don't have to be a problem, my current rifle is a Sako AV circa 1989/90 - I paid £375 with 57 rounds of homeloads last summer - these loads have grouped .5" at 100 yards (3 rounds). Previously I had a Remington 700 which was £250, a good rifle but the stock trigger isn't in the same class as the Sako. I can't comment on parker hale or the others you mention but for my money it would be hard to do better than an old (well cared for) Sako!

what model sako have you got mate....

xmarksman9870 parkerhale all the way mine cost me 40 quid i can clover leaf with it at 100-150 yards easily, a lot of people give the old parkerhales a hard time fair enough there not the best looking rifle but they certainly do the job and a good job at that, also if you happen to get it wet or a little scratch on it it wont make you cry :lol:

also i was informed the other day that its parkerhale that actually makes all the barrels for your top market rifles :cool:

correct,,and to tell the truth i do like the old super safari,, takes me way back to my younger years >>>

I have an old parker hale, a bsa stutzen and a sako finnbear all great rifles and shoot very well indeed, my parker hale was my first rifle so has a soft spot in my heart but love the stutzen for woodland stalking and again is extremely acurate and then there is the sako the nicest smoothest action ever and its lovely. all exept the sako cost 200 quid the sako came in at around 350 quid and none will leave my clutches till i am in my box, atb wayne

Have a look at the older style mk2 Rugers, I've got one in .270, SS barrel, synthetic stock, clover leaves 3 bullets with varget home loads.

Sako finnbear, tikka m65, tikka m690/695, Remington 700, all good in .270, all have a bit of weight to them to take the twang out of the recoil if you intend not tuse a mod.
I'm on my 4th 270... had the rem as my first cf. had two sakos first one had issues with accuracy second one I hammered the ***** out of it and now running a tikka m695.

what model sako have you got mate....

It's stamped as SAKO A V but on the Sako website the owners manual download shows it as a Finnbear L161R - unless I've got something wrong that is!

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/manuals/Finnbear.pdf -

I needed a left hand action so was more restricted in my choices - there was a nice parker hale at Clay shooting r us - http://www.gunstar.co.uk/view-trader/clay-shooting-r-us/1281 - I haven't seen it myself but someone on the forum looked at it at a show last summer

Better with a longer barrel to fully release the .270 potential

Better with a longer barrel to fully release the .270 potential

I always fancied a new Winchester 70 in .270, on paper it's got all the features you could want on a stalking rifle: mauser action, proper recoil lug (rare these days), decent triggers now, well priced. How do you get one over here though?

My choice would be an accurate one with a twenty-four inch barrel (unless you are using a moderator). It is a pity that here in UK you can't "try before you buy" as not every new looking bore guarantees the rifle will shoot well.

Gregor McLeod at Tain will have a good selection. BUT wherever you buy make sure that 'scope blocks are still available for that make and model. The best rifle in the world is useless without sights and if you can't get the 'scope blocks then I'd pass.

I've used BRO ZKK 600 and Parker Hale M81 Classic in .270 WCF and I prefer the more positive feeding and ejection on the BRNO but ohh that trigger is nowhere near as good as the P-Hale's trigger.

Back