Thread: Help

Help

Can any off you guys give me any tips on stalking fallow? There is loads off dung everywhere and loads off prints on the ground and every day I'm there there is different prints and different piles off dung but I can never come across the deer on the ground. I have been out about 8 times now with a mix off early morning and evening stalks. In July there was a herd off 12 deer on the ground and I have seen a few since on the ground when I haven't had the gun with me. Any tips would be appreciated thanks.

Fallow can range over several miles so may be away from your ground at times. They are not called 'Fickle Fallow' for nothing as they can be unpredictable.
    It they are leaving cover to feed on farmland at last light you may be able to intercept them.
    If they are under heavy shooting pressure in the area, then they may turn totally nocturnal. If that be the case you will need to be in position well before one hour before sunrise as they will be returning to cover with the first streaks of dawn and sometimes before it is lawful to shoot them or even see them clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Fallow can range over several miles so may be away from your ground at times. They are not called 'Fickle Fallow' for nothing as they can be unpredictable.
    It they are leaving cover to feed on farmland at last light you may be able to intercept them.
    If they are under heavy shooting pressure in the area, then they may turn totally nocturnal. If that be the case you will need to be in position well before one hour before sunrise as they will be returning to cover with the first streaks of dawn and sometimes before it is lawful to shoot them or even see them clearly.
    This is good advise Lee. Nothing overcomes the changing habits of fallow more than time spent on all parts of your ground. Even if you don't see any, you should be able to pick up more clues and get an idea of group numbers, direction travelled at roughly what time of day, etc. There is a lot on the SD at the moment about fallow becoming nocturnal if they are hit hard by neighbouring stalkers so being in place well before first light should pay off if you can work out their "normal" route. A couple of trail cameras will help you if you get really stuck, especially if you set the right time and date on them so you can work out if there are movement patterns.

Good luck,

Z.

Thanks guys. The deer seem to be leaving the forest and feeding on grass. Would it be common for fallow to stick to the one path up the side off a hedge? If they had become nocturnal is this something that can change or are they likely to stay nocturnal? Thanks

If the grass is good feeding and there is not much else in the vicinity, they may stay on it unless disturbed. It is shooting pressure and disturbance that makes them turn nocturnal. If they are left in relative peace then they probably will revert to a more normal routine.
    What you have to remember is that they will range over several miles so it will be their overall experience over the whole range that will usually determine their behaviour.
    Try not to shoot them where they are feeding but intercept them on their way back. If they are shot where they are feeding then you would most likely not see them back for some time.
    Remember Fickle Fallow, one can never say 'never' nor 'always' when it comes to how they will behave. They are unpredictable.

Thanks again for your help! I will stick it out for another while then and hopefully get one soon.