Thread: Deer tracking!

Deer tracking!

How do?
    I have a nine month old GWP with 16th Lab in him. I am interested in getting him into tracking/stalking deer I have done bits and pieces but nothing major and was wondering if someone could give me a bit of info on the basics? I am more looking for a course to go on with him. It sounds cheeky but I would love to see someone working with there dogs! Here is a couple of pictures with the little bugger
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1421.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	36401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1521.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	633.6 KB 
ID:	36402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1526.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	427.7 KB 
ID:	36403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1537.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	36404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1605.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	36405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1572.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	36406

Hi ck.
    Thats a lovely looking pup ya got buddy. Just been reading my basc mag that dropped through the door yesterday and in it it says about a seminar there doing next month but is a stretch of ya legs as its in Bedfordshire.
    The guy that they say is leading it is a legendary in the use of dogs for deer and has written an excellent book on the subject which would also be a good read for you.
    Kind regards
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy milnes View Post
    Hi ck.
    Thats a lovely looking pup ya got buddy. Just been reading my basc mag that dropped through the door yesterday and in it it says about a seminar there doing next month but is a stretch of ya legs as its in Bedfordshire.
    The guy that they say is leading it is a legendary in the use of dogs for deer and has written an excellent book on the subject which would also be a good read for you.
    Kind regards
    Jimmy
    any chance you have a link to it or at least the title? Sounds interesting....

Hi.
    As I say it was in there magazine so not really able to put a link on it sorr, they may have details on the web site or you could flick them an email I suppose.
    Regards
    Jimmy

CapstanKid,
    I'm interested in learning some basic techniques too,prior to getting a pup, a course or day would be very welcome.
    Maybe something can be arranged via the sd,collective group of guys starting out training their dogs for deer,techniques,laying a trail,equipment etc etc.
    I've had nothing but genuine helpfull advice and numerous pms which is a credit to the guys on here and their knowledge on tracking.

Daven,

Working with dogs for deer, Niels Sondergaard

http://4bds.org.uk/index.php?option=...&product_id=64

Thanks....

Thanks for the reply's guys.
    I noticed that too in my BASC magazine It looks good but it's a bit pricey especially for me having to travel all that way. I heard a while ago Cumbria woodlands had done a course on it with the legend Niels Sondergaard, I have sent them an email to see if they will put another course on I am sure it was cheaper than 195 as well.

went to see the same guy at grizedale last year , well woth a day out if he comes up north , you can buy his book also , and i think the BDS do a small paperback book for about 6 which is worth a read , all the best and enjoy your dog , arron.