Deer tracking!

Capstankid

How do?
I have a nine month old GWP with 16th Lab in him. I am interested in getting him into tracking/stalking deer I have done bits and pieces but nothing major and was wondering if someone could give me a bit of info on the basics? I am more looking for a course to go on with him. It sounds cheeky but I would love to see someone working with there dogs! Here is a couple of pictures with the little bugger :)
IMG_1421.JPGIMG_1521.jpgIMG_1526.jpgIMG_1537.JPGIMG_1605.jpgIMG_1572.JPG

Hi ck.
Thats a lovely looking pup ya got buddy. Just been reading my basc mag that dropped through the door yesterday and in it it says about a seminar there doing next month but is a stretch of ya legs as its in Bedfordshire.
The guy that they say is leading it is a legendary in the use of dogs for deer and has written an excellent book on the subject which would also be a good read for you.
Kind regards
Jimmy

Hi ck.
Thats a lovely looking pup ya got buddy. Just been reading my basc mag that dropped through the door yesterday and in it it says about a seminar there doing next month but is a stretch of ya legs as its in Bedfordshire.
The guy that they say is leading it is a legendary in the use of dogs for deer and has written an excellent book on the subject which would also be a good read for you.
Kind regards
Jimmy

any chance you have a link to it or at least the title? Sounds interesting....

Hi.
As I say it was in there magazine so not really able to put a link on it sorr, they may have details on the web site or you could flick them an email I suppose.
Regards
Jimmy

CapstanKid,
I'm interested in learning some basic techniques too,prior to getting a pup, a course or day would be very welcome.
Maybe something can be arranged via the sd,collective group of guys starting out training their dogs for deer,techniques,laying a trail,equipment etc etc.
I've had nothing but genuine helpfull advice and numerous pms which is a credit to the guys on here and their knowledge on tracking.

Daven,

Working with dogs for deer, Niels Sondergaard

http://4bds.org.uk/index.php?option...2&route=product/product&path=20&product_id=64

Thanks for the reply's guys.
I noticed that too in my BASC magazine It looks good but it's a bit pricey especially for me having to travel all that way. I heard a while ago Cumbria woodlands had done a course on it with the legend Niels Sondergaard, I have sent them an email to see if they will put another course on I am sure it was cheaper than £195 as well.

went to see the same guy at grizedale last year , well woth a day out if he comes up north , you can buy his book also , and i think the BDS do a small paperback book for about £6 which is worth a read , all the best and enjoy your dog , arron.

Back