Thread: Are Stainless rifles rustproof?

Are Stainless rifles rustproof?

A quick question: I took my new Sako 85 Stainless Synthetic on its first outing on Monday. It got well and truly soaked. I took it home and left it in a warm dry place until the following lunchtime. There was no sign of moisture on the outside of the rifle but I'm wondering if there are any non-stainless steel parts in the action like springs etc? Should I be doing more to dry it out? Will it be rotting my nice Beretta that it shares a cabinet with?

Gunsmith told me that stainless barrels are not 100% stainless and yes they will form rust spots if not wiped down. As far as I understood him they are low maintenence NOT maintenence free. I have a T3 and it is a dull silver colour not shiney as in true stainless so maybe he is correct. Either way surely a wipe down to dry it is not that difficult.
    I wipe mine down if wet and still looks good

Thanks, I understand that no stainless is rust proof, and I've given the outside a good dry, but I'm wondering aboout whether the 'stainless' part of the gun's name applies to all the mechanism in the action as well. I don't want to go squirting WD40 in there but I don't want springs to seize either. I don't think I've ever seen a good stainless spring and spring steel rusts like heck.

Steel given the prefix "stainless" in fact means stains - less, having said that, my blued Sako has suffered the worst that the UK weather can throw at it without blemish, but my Howa stainless has rust & plenty of it!

Try a magnet. Good quality stainless in not magnetic. Lower grade is. However stainless can get a bloom if not looked after. Certainly any fnish can get tarnished. Stainles bolts etc tend to be lower grade as manufacturing such on high quality is nigh on impossible. (try cutting one with a hacksaw) so beware that bolts can seize if mantenance is neglected.
    Jim

I have a Sako 85 and cart it round the highlands for hours at a time in the worst of westher. I just dry the gun and boresnake the barrel (many folk hate b.snakes) when wet. Occaisionaly take off stock and oil-up the underside.Mod. always taken off and warmed on the radiator.
    Be warned though, the bolt internals will rust if not looked after, so you need to open and rub with oil regularly.

regards

I dismanted the bolt for the first time last night and could see it was totally dry of oil and slightly damp with moisture. I covered everything lightly with white grease and it seems much better now. Gave the rest of the metalwork a rub with an oily rag and am happier now, thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p
    Try a magnet. Good quality stainless in not magnetic. Lower grade is. However stainless can get a bloom if not looked after. Certainly any fnish can get tarnished. Stainles bolts etc tend to be lower grade as manufacturing such on high quality is nigh on impossible. (try cutting one with a hacksaw) so beware that bolts can seize if mantenance is neglected.
    Jim
    the grades are separate, not separated by cost, but by design, Martensitic/Austenitic/ & Ferritic. 8)

Thanks, I know all about the various types of stainless being susceptible to some rust, my profession is metals realted. I had some 'bloom' on the internals of the bolt, more like the type on Zinc alloy when it is exposed to air/moisture. The back end part of the bolt spring was worst and looked as if it was a die cast zinc alloy (mazak) part, not stainless.

I was not really concerned about the stainless parts of the rifle, more about whether the whole rifle is stainless or if there are mild/spring steel parts hidden inside.

I have had good results with maintainance on bolts & magazine parts that are usually unreachable normally without taking them to bits, using a product called "Slicker", manufactured by PAUL Co. in Kansas USA, it is imported by Griff who does the same with Wipeout products (bore foam), this stuff is a quality lubricant & rust preventative, shoot it into your bolt through any apertures in it's liquid form, it then cures to a light grease, warning, this stuff will blemish plastic / nylon parts (like bolt shrouds) used in conjunction with "Flush out" stripping down is a once in a blue moon job 8) Steve.