Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting & identifying fox at night - what range?

Spotting & identifying fox at night - what range?

I'd like to collate a view on:-

1. Max range to Spot a fox. Typically spotting eyes with a lamp but maybe include NV for comparison too

2. Max range to Identify a fox with gun optics without any doubt such that a shot could be fired safely.

3. With what kit & what's its cost?

I'd like to avoid any debate about the ability/gun/calibre/bullet/ethics etc of shooting a fox at that range. That depends on so many things & is debated elsewhere in depth. This is purely about lights & optics to collate what people can manage & with what kit, and at what price.

1. Spotting: 600m
    2. Identifying: 250m or less depending on atmospherics
    3. Fenix TK75 torch 150 + Swaro Z6i 5-30 x50 2k

No amount of kit will beat experience mate, but good glass and common sense are your best kit. You can, more often than not, tell a fox by movement over deer or badger even if you can only see eyes moving at distance. But the golden rule is if you are not sure don't shoot. Once you pull that trigger you can't get it back. Time on the ground chap. Try and get some nights out with someone who knows their craft.

SD Regular
    There are a lot of caveats here around landscape and atmospherics etc, but in ideal conditions:

Spot: 1000m

ID: 600m (I don't shoot outside 350-400m and rarely need to at this distance)

Kit: NF 5.5-22x56, PVS14, Dipol L3 - c3.5k in total

I completely agree with Rowey - experience of their behaviour is key.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    There are a lot of caveats here around landscape and atmospherics etc, but in ideal conditions:

Spot: 1000m

ID: 600m (I don't shoot outside 350-400m and rarely need to at this distance)

Kit: NF 5.5-22x56, PVS14, Dipol L3 - c3.5k in total

I completely agree with Rowey - experience of their behaviour is key.
    id agree with these stats
    but would add that never ever shoot at a pair of eyes
    a fox would have to be fully identified before a shot is taken
    too late once that bullet is gone
    regards pete

With a hand held 3,500000 candlepower lamp about 6-800 yds. Thermal 400+yds

Very rarely shoot beyond 200 yds on lamp as rarely need to. Big nightforce or Leupold Mk 4 tactical, sometimes at 100yds might not be posisble to positively id a fox. Be very wary in proximety of buildings with big ginger cats, better safe than sorry, more than one fox is still alive as not being 100% sure that it was not a fox.

Never ever at eyes only unless prev 100% positively identified eg fox clamped down in some plough and lifting head to squeak.

Helpfull to be out with somebody who has alot of experience, takes years to master the initial id of a gleem of an eye, then to positive id it.

D

+1 ON THAT LIGHTFORCE AND KEEP CALM. 2OO MAX.

As above, I can spot a fox-sized animal with the thermal imager at about 600m - but cannot identify it. If I use the NV with laser illuminator, I can get a 90% certain ID at the same range - BUT - I would never shoot until I was 100% certain, as it's scary how easily cats and owls can look like foxes at night. I would say that on a good night (i.e. when there's not much moisture in the air) I can get a positive ID at about 450 metres. Some nights though, it's much less than this. I'm using Gen III kit with a laser.

Never use the rifle mounted scope for scanning/spotting, use the bino's.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Never mind ranges etc. Two golden rules. Never fire at anything that you have not identified 200% as fox and know your ground inside out to ensure a safe backstop.