Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: making safe a floor plate magazine

  1. #1

    making safe a floor plate magazine

    I hope this fits into general discussion, if not apologies Alex.
    Recently acquired a CZ 550 American in 7x57 with a floor plate magazine for a friend. I have only ever owned detachable magazine rifles, so would like views on how to make safe. Should I drop the floor plate or cycle the rounds out with the bolt? Or can the rounds be flicked out the top of the action if the bolt is all the way back? I don't want to pass on bad info, so thought I would ask the knowledgable folks on here.
    Thanks in anticipation,
    Mark

  2. #2
    I cycle the chambered round out then drop the floor plate works for me .
    norma

  3. #3
    Same as Norma. My winchester has a 3 stage saftey aswell which makes life a tad easier.


    Nutty

  4. #4
    I tend to drop the plate with my hand cupping it to collect the rounds, but it doesn't always work terribly well.....!
    Best thing is find plenty of things to shoot at then you needn't worry,
    on an aside, with the 550, has anyone come up with a way of stopping the floor plate from rattling? It does my nut in, it fine if the mag is full to capacity, but once you chamber a round or two, the plate rattles mercilessly!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    I cycle the chambered round out then drop the floor plate works for me .
    norma
    +1, I try to catch the rounds in a cupped hand but it's not unusual for one to end up on the ground, but no real hardship.

  6. #6
    With rifle pointing down and in a safe direction drop the floorplate collecting the rounds into the cupped hand, pocket the rounds. Then close the floorplate and with the rifle still poining down in a safe direction eject the round still in the chamber.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    With rifle pointing down and in a safe direction drop the floorplate collecting the rounds into the cupped hand, pocket the rounds. Then close the floorplate and with the rifle still poining down in a safe direction eject the round still in the chamber.
    Hi Mike, all seem in accord on this. Out of curiosity why would you choose to leave the loaded round in the chamber while fiddling around dropping and catching the magazine rounds? Having read all of the other replies I would probably have made the chambered round safe before messing about with catching the magazine ones.
    You have me curious now,,,,,
    Mark.

  8. #8
    Agreed. I eject the round in the chamber first then drop the floor plate catching the remaining rounds. Muzzle awareness needles to say.

  9. #9
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by buckup View Post
    Hi Mike, all seem in accord on this. Out of curiosity why would you choose to leave the loaded round in the chamber while fiddling around dropping and catching the magazine rounds? Having read all of the other replies I would probably have made the chambered round safe before messing about with catching the magazine ones.
    You have me curious now,,,,,
    Mark.
    Try it the other way and you'll see.

    Unless you have three hands, with the muzzle pointing at the ground you'll find that the bolt will tend to try and fall shut, due to gravity, and can pick up the next round from the top of the stack before you can get the floorplate open.

    If you have a chambered round (under closed bolt) with safety on and muzzle pointed safely, it is but the work of a moment to empty the mag through the floorplate and then safely eject the chambered round thereafter.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Agreed. I eject the round in the chamber first then drop the floor plate catching the remaining rounds. Muzzle awareness needles to say.
    +1, the exact same method as I use on my Remington 700.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with floor plate magazine release catch Sako AII
    By Mick9abf in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-03-2012, 12:37
  2. Floor plate conversion on an old rifle.
    By ejg in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 11:37
  3. Wanted Floor plate bits for rem 700
    By tom_0787 in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-03-2011, 17:04
  4. Converting a Remington 700 floor plate model to a magazine?
    By 270Buck in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 16-02-2011, 13:30
  5. P/Hale floor plate
    By johngryphon in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 12:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •