Thread: Too late for shooting...

Too late for shooting...

I often see Muntjac tracks around the land I shoot and tried countless times early morning and dusk, however they never show.
    I would guess there are not so many around my way but this Buck came past the trail cam, just need to find him at a shoot able time!!

Tim.243

Tim. Muntjac, particularly bucks will 'inspect their boundaries' or both sexes will feed every four or five hours. I don't know whether it is possible for you to sit in a high seat or at the junction of rides late in the morning/mid-day/early afternoon ? It the area is not highly disturbed during those times, then you will likely see them moving. I have shot them at all times of the day too. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Tim. Muntjac, particularly bucks will 'inspect their boundaries' or both sexes will feed every four or five hours. I don't know whether it is possible for you to sit in a high seat or at the junction of rides late in the morning/mid-day/early afternoon ? It the area is not highly disturbed during those times, then you will likely see them moving. I have shot them at all times of the day too. Good luck.
    Thank you for that, the land is very open with a couple of wooded places, there are no rides of such but I am planning to put a high seat up at some point. The problem is there are lots of areas on the boarders with a lot of cover in peoples 4/5 acre plots.
    Some reds pass through but it is very hit and miss as there are areas I cant shoot on which they prefer...
    These were around for a couple of days

Tim.243
    Last edited by Tim.243; 04-01-2014 at 13:26. Reason: Add picture

Tim. Muntjac are creatures that like good cover. They will seldom expose themselves in full daylight on open ground. But being wild animals they sometimes do.
    You may see them doing their boundaries on the edge of your wooded areas if that is where they couch in cover.
    Even when calling them they usually remain in some cover (but not always). Trying to get them to expose themselves completely when calling is usually unproductive.
    Depending on the nature of your wooded areas you may be able to call them near enough to the edge to get a shot.

It's worth baiting if you really want results, wheat will work but ideally with a bit of maize and aniseed. As Norm says though they don't leave cover if they can help it so bait right up against it or as near as possible.