Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car engine insulation eaten by mice

Car engine insulation eaten by mice

Hi Guys
    I live in the Highlands in a rural area and my car is outside and not garaged.
    The local mice are having a great time demolishing the heavy dense foam insulation under the engine cover on my SKoda Scout diesel. The little devils chew it into granules and it lodges in the depressions where the injectors enter the cylinder head. Also they have started gnawing the sleeving around the wires which activate the injectors.
    On my previous Freelander they destroyed over the years the whole of the engine bulkhead insulation.
    I've tried spraying the foam with WD40to see if it oputs them off, but it does'nt seem to.
    Anyone out there with some words of wisdom??

Presumably they`re living under there, can`t you leave some poison in certain areas?
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Presumably they`re living under there, can`t you leave some poison in certain areas?

They can't be there all the time. I can't imagine they would enjoy a 2 hour journey to Inverness, never mind the journey back!
    But you're right,-I think I'll have to leave some bait down under the bonnet. Otherwise expensive repair before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by blaven View Post
    They can't be there all the time. I can't imagine they would enjoy a 2 hour journey to Inverness, never mind the journey back!
    But you're right,-I think I'll have to leave some bait down under the bonnet. Otherwise expensive repair before too long.
    I can`t see them walking from the shed across the yard and into your engine just for a chew on the foam either!
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

If there not living within the car, somewhere then do you know where they're climbing up, maybe the back of the wheels? Try some stick boards up against the inside tyre wall. Check your air filter inlet and casing see if they're living in there.
    Wingy

Try an external bait box or 2 near where the car is parked, also get some little nippers, they work a treat. If you can't find any give me a shout, I've got 100s, I'll post you some.

My bet is they go up in the engine when it's still warm, seen this many times.

never tried it, but I'm told by a pest controller that they hate the taste of that expanding builders foam. maybe try filling any obvious openings with it, or replacing original insulation with a squirt or two of it. Don't get carried away or you may never get your bonnet open again!

Quote Originally Posted by buckup View Post
    never tried it, but I'm told by a pest controller that they hate the taste of that expanding builders foam. maybe try filling any obvious openings with it, or replacing original insulation with a squirt or two of it. Don't get carried away or you may never get your bonnet open again!
    Be carefull with that it's highly flammable , maybe not good to put it near a hot engine. stick to the bait.

Cats can be a pain, but they have their uses....

Quote Originally Posted by Barnett View Post
    Be carefull with that it's highly flammable , maybe not good to put it near a hot engine. stick to the bait.
    Thanks Barnett,
    Never looked at that angle.
    Mark