Normal Tariff For Stags?

Buckaroo8

I've always wondered......
when people list their prices for roe stalking it's usually broken down to £75 per stalk and £50 trophy/shot fee, (for example)
but stags are often advertised like: "STAGS £ 350+vat "
does the "STAG" usually include the outing fee? or is (£350+vat) normally the outing fee with a stag included?? if so what usually happens if no stag is shot?
cheers folks

One place i go its 300 plus stalk 75 plus vat:-- but that could be a gold or and bronze its still 300 + vat , its forest high seat only and you are on your own until collected .or until you call the owner/game keeper after the shot. no stags /bucks over 9 inches shot but doe's/hind's pricket's etc then just the stalking fee plus vat.

I've always wondered......
when people list their prices for roe stalking it's usually broken down to £75 per stalk and £50 trophy/shot fee, (for example)
but stags are often advertised like: "STAGS £ 350+vat "
does the "STAG" usually include the outing fee? or is (£350+vat) normally the outing fee with a stag included?? if so what usually happens if no stag is shot?
cheers folks

Last edited:
Just round it up and say a decent stag would cost $15000 NZD +or- 5000 from private land or Nothing from Public land. the figures are iffy as I will not hunt Private.

OK just to clarify; I was thinking in terms of Scottish estate hill red stag stalking. The pricing method seems quite common. The actual £350+vat price was just an example, it was more to do with the way the price is worked out.

Last edited:
Usually a fixed rate for one stag with a cheaper rate for a second stag if time allows. Make sure what price you would pay if you were unlucky not to be successful as there can be a rate for this also.

Usually a fixed rate for one stag with a cheaper rate for a second stag if time allows. Make sure what price you would pay if you were unlucky not to be successful as there can be a rate for this also.

In that case, surely it would make more sense to itemise the tariff to begin with, like how it's done with roe?

Depends on the type of stalking, woodland or open hill , hill stalking is priced by the stag which includes the outing fee and you will usually spend all or most of the day on the hill, not a morning and evening outing like other types of stalking.

If you take a day at stags and are unsuccessful there will no doubt being a outing fee which should have been agreed beforehand.

If you are taking a longer period , for example ours was either a three day let or a five day let you could stipulate
how many stags you wished to shoot three ,five or even ten when the rut was in full swing, while that may sound expensive many of these weeks were taken by groups of friends, who would only be shooting one or maybe two stags each , if you did not reach your quota in your three or five day period you would be offered an extra day to try and reach your number , if after this you still had not had the opportunity to shoot your number you only paid
for the stags you had shot.

Note I say opportunity if the stalker presented you with a stag and you missed it , chose not to shoot or failed to take the shot for whatever reason , then at the end of your stalking period if you had not shot your number
these failed chances would be counted as if they had been successful

Like any stalking make sure you know exactly what you may have to pay before booking, that way there I are no nasty surprises which can cause bad feeling for all concerned.

There is no usual or normal imo.. everybody offering stalking or the paying clients often have differing expectations.

That's why its best to get all the answers upfront to avoid disappointment and a dwindling bank balance

In that case, surely it would make more sense to itemise the tariff to begin with, like how it's done with roe?
Stag and Roe pricing are usually totally different with some charging per point for stags plus a outing fee. My reply was for a fixed price single stag with maybe a chance to continue on the same day for another -- time permitting. For a package Boggy has given a great info reply.

Depends on the type of stalking, woodland or open hill , hill stalking is priced by the stag which includes the outing fee and you will usually spend all or most of the day on the hill, not a morning and evening outing like other types of stalking.

If you take a day at stags and are unsuccessful there will no doubt being a outing fee which should have been agreed beforehand.

If you are taking a longer period , for example ours was either a three day let or a five day let you could stipulate
how many stags you wished to shoot three ,five or even ten when the rut was in full swing, while that may sound expensive many of these weeks were taken by groups of friends, who would only be shooting one or maybe two stags each , if you did not reach your quota in your three or five day period you would be offered an extra day to try and reach your number , if after this you still had not had the opportunity to shoot your number you only paid
for the stags you had shot.

Note I say opportunity if the stalker presented you with a stag and you missed it , chose not to shoot or failed to take the shot for whatever reason , then at the end of your stalking period if you had not shot your number
these failed chances would be counted as if they had been successful

Like any stalking make sure you know exactly what you may have to pay before booking, that way there I are no nasty surprises which can cause bad feeling for all concerned.
Bogtrotter, thanks for taking the time to explain all that! good chap, very helpful :thumb:
I am thinking that I ought to book a few days Scottish hill stalking, as it is so completely different to the way we stalk reds down here.
And thanks to everyone else who has posted

Last edited:
Back