Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bore snakes

bore snakes

i have 2 of these one for my .223 and one for my .243 rifle ,, i was wondering if any one else uses these and what are
    your opinions on them

Quote Originally Posted by radio1ham View Post
    i have 2 of these one for my .223 and one for my .243 rifle ,, i was wondering if any one else uses these and what are
    your opinions on them
    i,ve got one for my .270 ,think their really good , i put forrest bore in then leave for a couple of mins then 3 or 4 pulls with the bore snake , it really cleans the chamber

They're not a substitute for a proper clean imo. I do use them though. Was stalking in another part of the country this last week and had one with me. They are good in an emergency and I use it with a bit of oil on it when I'm done and an oily rag for the rest so that rust doesn't form whilst in transit. Important with weather like we've been having. Next chance I get the rifle will get a proper clean.

I have a bore snake for my 22/250 which I use on my .22lr
    And one for my 308 they do the job just fine.

Atb kev
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

They are ok for a quick clean in the field or overnight whilst on a trip and I do have them.

However.

I have read though and, after consideration I agree that repeated use of pull throughs can damage the crown.

They are great. Easy and quick to use, and clean the bore out very well.

As already said Bore Snakes are good for emergency use but they can damage the crown with repeated use if they are not pulled straight out of the barrel.

Also they can become embedded with dirt and grit which can score the bore, you wouldn't reuse the same dirty patch on a cleaning rod...

Wouldn't use one on my rifles.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

May well regret the post here....

I believe there is a damage issue - but strongly believe everyone has the right to treat their property as they see fit and have their opinion etc. So I just pose one query.

In terms of cleaning the barrel. Where does the 'dirt' go with a bore snake? With a spear tip jag and one direction use I can see the outcome and that the 'dirt' is on the patch I discard. Where is it with the bore snake?
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    May well regret the post here....

I believe there is a damage issue - but strongly believe everyone has the right to treat their property as they see fit and have their opinion etc. So I just pose one query.

In terms of cleaning the barrel. Where does the 'dirt' go with a bore snake? With a spear tip jag and one direction use I can see the outcome and that the 'dirt' is on the patch I discard. Where is it with the bore snake?
    They can be washed but for those who use one as their only cleaning method it is unlikely that it would be washed often enough to clean the barrel. In fact most boresnakes I've seen are very grubby! At best you would be moving the dirt around in the barrel and mixing it with oil and solvent or whatever which would then create a muddy film. I can't imagine what this does to the barrel when the rifle is next fired.