Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What scope for .222 for foxing?

What scope for .222 for foxing?

I'm after a scope for my .222 my budget is£200 I'm happy with second hand or new, the scope will be used for lamping, most shot are taken 100-200yards, what do you boys use and suggest? Cheers

Fixed mag meopta or edgar brothers

it might take you some time but try keeping your eyes open for a older quality scope maybe something like a pecar berlin some of the older tascos were quite good aswell

Try and get hold of a Burris fullfield 2. Either the 6.5-20 or the 4.5-14. I have the 4.5 and it cost me £200 second hand but they are crystal clear and very under rated scopes. They do come up second hand regularly. I had it on my 222 for fox and roe and it only got religated to the 22 due to picking up a good deal on a Swaro

If you wait or hunt around a bit, you can find used leupold vxIIs in 3-9 x 50 for just over the £200 mark.

Got one by chance when I got my 243, liked it so much got a second for my .222.

It is good enough that I have shot foxes with the lamp off on moonlit nights. Recently looked through a zeiss duralyt and was appalled - not even close to the quality of the leupolds.

Having said that, I had a cheap (40 quid) Hawke sat on the 222 for a few weeks, and it did the job.
    Last edited by Mungo; 05-01-2014 at 11:09.

I put a Swarovski habitch nova 8 x 56 on my 223 browning a-bolt.. I use that for roe and fox.. I got this second hand on gun trader for £300 p&p.. Wee bit more than your budget but a class scope

Quote Originally Posted by ferreting lad View Post
    I put a Swarovski habitch nova 8 x 56 on my 223 browning a-bolt.. I use that for roe and fox.. I got this second hand on gun trader for £300 p&p.. Wee bit more than your budget but a class scope
    Think you got a bargain there
    but the way to go if you can
    8x56 Swaro on my 222 also
    regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    it might take you some time but try keeping your eyes open for a older quality scope maybe something like a pecar berlin some of the older tascos were quite good aswell
    tasco titan if you can find one as there old an from the days when tasco made a decent piece of kit.
    Regards
    Jimmy

I had a Swaro 8x50 on mine for years, shot loads of foxes with it.

I changed it for a variable. Really wish I hadn't bothered.

Its a a bit more than you budget I know, but save the pennies for a month or two and get a good fixed 8x.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Recently looked through a zeiss duralyt and was appalled - not even close to the quality of the leupolds.
    I waited a long time till I could afford my first Leupold, a VX2 3-9x40, I waited because of all the people who big them up.
    I kept it for about 2 weeks until I finally admitted it was not as good as the cheap Nikon it replaced, fortunately I still had the Nikon.
    The Leupold sold on ok, but I still lost money on it, never would I buy a low end Leupold again
    I do have a VX3 which is ok, actually better a than ok, but it isn't a Zeiss or Swaro, or even close.

Neil.