Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cabinet - detached garage

cabinet - detached garage

Does anyone have any first hand experience of their police force passing as suitable a shotgun cabinet installed in a detached garage? Alternatively, could anyone direct me to the relevant section of the acpo guidelines that may assist?

Novice

HO Guidelines:

1. 19.18. Under most circumstances, it is preferable that firearms should be secured within theoccupied part of a dwelling. Separate, detached buildings, or those attached but having only external access, including outhouses and garages, should not be used unless the levels of security warrant it. If used, these should also be protected by an intruder alarmlinked to the household.

At my parents there is a gun safe and an ammo safe in the garage. it has a safty doors and rollers shutters, also an alarm. the polic never had any issue when we asked for it.

Andy7mm

A guy I know has his gun cabinet and ammo safe in a detached garage 60 yards from the house but it is alarmed with no windows.

My safes are in a room that is only accessible from outside. No problems, it is alarmed, has a 16 point locking door and the window has bars on it.

Regards

Ed

This is the document you require Novice https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...y-handbook.pdf

I'm sorry but I don't know if there is a more recent version.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Does anyone have any first hand experience of their police force passing as suitable a shotgun cabinet installed in a detached garage? Alternatively, could anyone direct me to the relevant section of the acpo guidelines that may assist?

Novice
    novice,

The only advice you should take is from your FEO. It is only they who will assess according to your actual environment and the local risk.

What applies risk wise in other areas is no matter to where you are. After all, it is a risk based assessment.

Stan

Novice,

I have my cabinet in a detached garage, as has already be advised talk with the FEO and discuss the reasons why the garage is the most sensible place for it to be. In my case i live in a 350 year old house without a straight wall in the place and the construction is "mixed" so finding a solid wall that a cabinet could be fitted to was a no go. I would not think they would go for it if it was a standard garage with an up and over door and standard lock so be prepard to beef up the security.

Simon

Leaving the legalities aside, a garage is probably not a good place to store valuable firearms unless it is heated. Firearms and optics, even stainless ones, are much better being kept in a warm and dry environment. You will find that in any cold and damp environment condensation will tend to form on metal surfaces and damp and metal = rust = damaged and rusty guns = unhappy hunter.

If it is other members of the family saying that they don't want guns in the house, well they won't have them in the house, they will be securly locked in a cabinet that is in the house, but that only you haave access to the keys, and the rest of the household are not even allowed to know where the keys are.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    This is the document you require Novice https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...y-handbook.pdf

I'm sorry but I don't know if there is a more recent version.
    The 2005 edition was last referenced on the GOV.UK website in December 2012, so I imagine that is still the latest version.