Chamois hunting Wanted

WAYNE DAVIES

Distinguished Member
Hi All
Chamois hunting is something I've always wanted to do, I don't necessarily want a big trophy just want to experience the type of hunt.

Any body got any good contacts preferably in Austria but open to offers.

Might even be able to do something along the lines of a swap hunt????
Roe, Muntjac, Fallow in England??
Found quite a few outfitters who offer it on the Internet but would rather hunt somewhere someone has recommended
Any ideas

Cheers Wayne

WAYNE get your self over to new zealand mate and hunt them for free!!
i have a good contact for a outfitter if needed with a good reputation,
they are in rut may/june time.
cheers jewy

I went to Austria with Diana in November. It is hard work and in no way cheap, a medal will cost 1000's! Bosnia and Croatia are cheaper but there are less chamois.

IMG_1274.jpg

I wouldn't say that I didn't enjoy myself but it was a case of let's go shoot your two deer and then I can get on with other stuff......

I hunted them in New Zealand last year, without luck although I went at the wrong time of year. :( I would be able to put you on to the UK outfitter if you wanted, the trip would I guess work out less than a European trip even taking into account airfares.

ATB

Tahr

Hi, Wayne,

Chamois is everythig but not cheap at all. I think you could find some permit quite afordable in France and Austria (close to Salzbourgh maybe a joung male around 600 € and an old female -nice trphy anyway around 900€). I will ask to a German friend who often has some permit there.

Kind regards

Gerardo

Wayne I have left you a PM.

Hunt has gone well. Last summer in Sweeden was really great: black grouse and capercaillie with Skandinavian dog is a nice sport. This is a sort of stalking and black grouse a very ellusive bird (long range shooting). Here some nice wild boar, as usual, some roe and one Spanish ibex buck in Christmas. I paste a couple of pictures.

Ibex.jpg

P1020430.jpg

If you were interested in going to Germany for chamois let me know and I woudl try to help you to.

Regards

Gerardo

Wayne if you do decide to come this far.It can be sorted.
It`s past Worcester though, you ok with that? :lol:

:D Cheers John, you never know I've started to stray into Gloucestershire lately, is that much closer????? :lol: :lol:

Cheers mate

Wayne

Wayne,

A couple of years back I stalked chamois in Carinthia in Austria a place called Mallnitz - a different sort of set up.

The guy I booked with (a Dane who had a house there) basically sold about 12 to 14 animals per year for the local landowners and in return got one free for himself. It was a flat rate of €1100 per skull - no kill no pay. Over and above that I had to pay the jaeger about €60 per day for his services and the house over and above that. Basically it was a cheap holiday, except for the trophy fee on the shammy. Of course you also need to get there which will involve hiring a car.

I ended up going twice - first time the weather beat us - hunting at between 6000 and 9000 feet in the Alps in Oct/Nov this is always going to be a problem. The second time it took about 3 hours on the first day to get one on the ground - better weather! There are loads and loads of chamois - the day after I shot mine we went for a walk in the mountains (not sure my wife would call it that, but anyway) and saw well over a hundred - droves and droves.

You do need to be fit to climb above the tree line to where they are and also prepared to shoot at long range - I took mine at about 300 metres - lucky shot.

I'm sure I could get you a contact - PM me if you are interested.

I was going to say why don't you go see John down under, if the gods are with me I may :rolleyes: hopefully be on my way to NZ sooner than I thought 8) , have a job offer on the cards in ChristChurch.

If so me and a mate are off into them there hills at some point in the near future an you are welcome to a lift to the helipad :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back