Thread: British Shooting Show bargains?

British Shooting Show bargains?

Is it likely that any of the stalls at the BSS will be offering any discounts, if your looking for say scopes, binos, clothing. Or is it mainly standard retail prices?

I'm sure others will have their own opinion, but I went last year and found that it was so busy it was really difficult to get to see any of the stuff on sale let alone talk to any staff and what I did see seemed to be more expensive than you could find it for by shopping around on the net.

That said I was thinking of trying on the Friday this year to see if it's any better/quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim xyz View Post
    I'm sure others will have their own opinion, but I went last year and found that it was so busy it was really difficult to get to see any of the stuff on sale let alone talk to any staff and what I did see seemed to be more expensive than you could find it for by shopping around on the net.

That said I was thinking of trying on the Friday this year to see if it's any better/quieter.
    Was thinking about a Friday too

Agree with Jim above , must admit i came away dissapointed, certainly no cheaper or good deals to be had, absolutly no chance of bartering for a good deal ,they just wouldn't budge an inch , by the time you have added up fuel , entrance , and food , i would buy my gear online ,not saying i will never go again ,just not every year.

Same here last year if you lift'd your feet you could still get around due to it being so stacked with folk . We gave up at lunch time as stopping was not allowed or it felt that way

With the extortionate rates that the shows charge traders now and the theft problem i wouldn`t imagine that there`s much lee way for `bargains` any more.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Seems to be the way of things at shows these days. It is the same at the CLA game fair as well. In reality if you're going solely to get a bargain, forget it. I think I'll go on the Friday to the Shooting Show as well. You've got to look at it as a day out with like minded people, perhaps a chance to look at stuff close up that you are interested in.

Maybe take the significant other along. After all the Friday is Valentine's Day. Perhaps she'll buy a rifle for you.

Basil is on the right track, I work in the trade and mark ups are cut to the bone, to exhibit at the show is an additional cost, remember the retailer still has to pay for his business premise's, but the shooting show costs are reasonable, there will be some bargains around, mainly end of lines being sold for cost, or in some case's retailer's will have a few loss leaders to pull trade in, and where else will you find almost everything you want under one roof ? how much do you spend in fuel traveling around trying to find things you need over the year, not to mention its a chance to examine the products you only ever read about

I did get some bargains last year but not optic related there was a oakley dealer from portsmouth selling them half price which was a result and managed to pick up a tweed jacket and english brogues half price.